•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Observing session, July 31st, 2020

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 01 August 2020 - 04:48 AM

I'm still having some troubles with my back, so it was another night with the 63mm Zeiss, as I couldn't move the big 6" ED. The seeing was very good, up high in the sky, so I concentrated on tight-ish doubles in Cygnus. 

First was STF 2666, which I have already seen before, but tonight I noticed that it not only has three companions, but that there's also a faint, fairly wide double star just 103" or so to its NE, magnitudes around 10, with one about half a magnitude fainter than the other. I have been unable to identify this pair, if it is a true, known pair, that is (I suspect it isn't). Using an image from Digitized Sky Survey, I made a crude measurement on my screen with a caliper and came out with a separation of 15" and a PA of ~40°. All six stars were seen at 179x (4.7mm ES82). The B companion to STF 2666 is a bit faint, but not super hard. A very nice field.  

Tonight I managed to find ORL 6 AC, which has eluded me earlier, but I'm not sure I could split it. I sometimes thought I saw it slightly elongated at 179x, but it was faint enough, that it was too fuzzy to see with certainty. This is one for the 152mm.

STF 2609 is quite close by. The companion is faint and it's tight, but a very nice sight at 179x.

STF 2668 has a faint, rather close companion. Visible at 125x (6.7mm ES82), but better at 179x. 

49 Cygni is SUPERB in the 63mm! A faint companion, sitting right on top of the very dim first diffraction ring of the bright, yellowish primary at 179x. Stunning! 

V389/STF 2762 has very similar stats to 49 Cygni, except it's a bit wider, yet manages to look completely different! It looks fainter, yet shouldn't. 

Mu Cygni was steadily seen tonight at 179x as a bright, round star with a fainter bump on it. A very nice challenge for the 63mm in good seeing. It reminds me of Zeta Herculis in a 4". 

STF 2741 was just separated at 179x. Semi-faint, but not hard.

STF 2732 was much harder, despite being a little wider, its companion being much dimmer. Not too easy at 179x. 

Psi Cygni wasn't hard. A brighter version of 49 Cygni. 

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

Edited by Astrojensen, 01 August 2020 - 06:00 AM.

• Pete W, VanJan, LarsMalmgren and 9 others like this

#2 Monoeil

Monoeil

Mariner 2

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:04 AM

Nice report! I am pretty new in the multiple stars world (but not in astronomy, I started more than 40 years ago) and your reports greatly helps. Thanks!

As a matter of fact, we shared some targets last night!

Observing environment: Heavy light pollution, atmosphere pretty stable, 8" Dobson on equatorial platform. All magnification with Televue 2.5x barlow lens and Olympus 25mm (x120), Bausch & Lomb Erfle 16.3mm (x185), Clave Plossl 12mm (x250) and 10mm (x300).

49 CYG: Pair visible @ x120 but best seen @ x185.

STF 2762: Easy target @ x185, perfect seeing @ x250,

Mu CYG: Here is the thing: I noticed 3 stars, 1 bright and 2 dim with a pretty wide separation. The challenge was to be able to see the 2 faint stars in the glow of the bright one. Visibility was good @ x185 and x250, not so good @ x300...Coating issue with the Clave 10? Indeed, it is a perfect target to test coating efficacy!

Now, one failure: I could not split 99 HER. Maybe I aimed at the wrong start but it was clearly impossible!

And now, the gem of the night: Pi AQL: A tight pair of stars of equal magnitude (around 6.5) which greatly helps! Well visible @ x185, clearly split @ x250. This one shall become one of my favorite sky wonders!

Have a good day!

• Astrojensen, flt158, MP173 and 3 others like this

#3 flt158

flt158

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dublin, Republic of Ireland

Posted 01 August 2020 - 12:58 PM

These are 2 excellent reports by Thomas and Monoeil. 

I thank you both very much for your brilliant observations and for taking the time to share them with the rest of us. 

I have only successfully split 49 Cygni, Mu Cygni, Psi Cygni and Pi Aquilae.  

You clearly have very fine scopes in your homes. 

Sadly all I have is 100% overcast skies. 

But the weather people are promising clear skies for tomorrow night (Sunday). 

Promises. Promises. Promises. 

I sometimes wonder are they similar to politicians. confused1.gif

Aubrey. 

• Astrojensen and Rich5567 like this

#4 Monoeil

Monoeil

Mariner 2

Posted 01 August 2020 - 01:38 PM

Aubrey, did you notice the same "flare" effect than me when observing Mu CYG?

#5 VanJan

VanJan

Viking 1

Posted 01 August 2020 - 02:17 PM

STF 2666 with 90mm refractor at 180X on 22 August 2012: Yellow, turquoise, no color. 10thmv comes s. 10th,11thmv pair nf.

• Astrojensen, flt158 and rugby like this

#6 flt158

flt158

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 August 2020 - 04:35 PM

Aubrey, did you notice the same "flare" effect than me when observing Mu CYG?

Hi Monoeil. 

I did observe Mu Cygni last 1st January (2020). 

I understand different types of eyepieces can give that flare effect. 

I have to say it's no big deal when we do see it.

There is nothing wrong.with your equipment. Well that's my opinion. 

I will try and I will take note the next time I have Mu Cygni in my field of view.

I do greatly admire the yellow colours of the double. 

You are spot on in regards seeing 3 stars once you have split A & B. 

Whenever I do observe this true binary I always recognise it when I see the 3rd star to its north. 

Can I ask you to give your Christian or 1st name please?

I have noticed you are a very keen double star observer. 

And we are all a very friendly bunch here on the Double Star Forum. 

Clear skies from Aubrey.

• rugby and Rich5567 like this

#7 rugby

rugby

Mariner 2

• Loc: London Ontario Canada

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:14 PM

I am interested in learning more about this flare you are seeing. Can anyone give me more details?

#8 Monoeil

Monoeil

Mariner 2

Posted 02 August 2020 - 05:53 AM

flt158, thanks for welcoming message. I shall sign my post with my first name from now. And I am not a keen observer. In fact, my eyesight is pretty bad as I suffer from mild diplopia most on the time. So I see fake double stars with my bare eyes but fortunately it disappears with small exit pupil...

Rugby, when I say "flare", I mean the apparent glow coming from the brightest star washing out the surrounding area and faint stars because of a reduced contrast against the sky. It was pretty apparent this time. Clearly, the view was better with the Clave 12 than with the Clave 10 (I forgot the compare the Clave 12 to the RKE 12...).

Nicolas

• flt158, nerich and rugby like this

#9 flt158

flt158

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 August 2020 - 07:17 AM

Hello, Nicholas. 

I am sorry for your trouble in regards to your mild diplopia. 

Is there there some treatment for that ailment?

Thankfully some eyepieces overcome the problem. 

The way it is with most of us. 

When we see a tiny black piece of space between 2 stars of whatever magnitude, we get great joy. 

I always thought Clave eyepieces were good quality. 

Best regards from Aubrey.  

• nerich likes this

#10 StarWager

StarWager

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: USA

Posted 02 August 2020 - 10:20 PM

Thanks for the reports!  I did some double-star observing on both Friday and Saturday nights here.  Nothing difficult as I am still learning to find the easy ones.  Friday I was in Scorpius, and Saturday in Bootes.  I have not had much time to transcribe my recordings yet, but hope to provide some reports here this week.

Cheers!

scott

• flt158, nerich and rugby like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics