•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mars, Jupiter and Saturn

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Paul G. Abel

Paul G. Abel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: UK

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:07 AM

Hi all,

We had some nice clear skies on Thursday and I was able to observe Mars, Jupiter and Saturn.  Although the jet stream was well out the way the seeing was still rather poor, but it seems a shame to waste a good clear night!

Jupiter.  This is my first view of the GRS with my 12" Newtonian- I have to say I found the colour of the GRS particularly striking.  The EZ and NEB were very active with many rifts and irregular sections present in the NEB:

JUPITER.png

Saturn.  Nice view of the rings system which is now back to normal pre-opposition brightness, although I thought the A-Ring was still a little brighter than before.  

SATURN.png

Mars.  Some interesting things of note- the South Polar Cap looks distorted due to the presence of Novus Mons detaching from the cap. Bright clouds present over the Thyle II and Ausonia region.  The main dark features are the Mare Sirenum and Mare Cimmerium:

MARS.png

Cheers,

-Paul

• Special Ed, Rob_G, Jef De Wit and 12 others like this

#2 niteskystargazer  Happy Birthday!

niteskystargazer

Cosmos

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 01 August 2020 - 10:52 AM

Paul,

Very good sketches of Mars, Jupiter and Saturn smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tpm

• jlcop likes this

#3 jlcop

jlcop

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Meridian, Idaho

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:18 PM

Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

John

#4 DDEV

DDEV

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Posted Yesterday, 07:56 AM

HI Paul,

I'm thoroughly enjoying your submissions of these planets. Not only are your sketches a sight to behold, but your commentary on each image is fascinating. Over the past few weeks you've highlighted the dynamics of these planets to us - thank you!

Darren.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics