•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

comet NEOWISE @70mm, showing very long ion tail

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:21 AM

This is an extension of my data from last week, but taken at a shorter focal length, and with some more time to consider processing.  This image was taken at 70mm, f/2.8, ISO 200, 30s, stack of 10 images, with a Nikon D5600, also from Mt. Laguna, CA.  Click for larger size (and ignore the jpeg compression artifacts!). 

NEOWISE_70mm_072120_TG.jpg

• Carol L, lukasik, BlueMoon and 16 others like this

#2 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 04 August 2020 - 04:40 AM

Thanks to those for the "likes".  And here is a reprocessed version of the same image that I like better.  Aside from the different orientation (I think the vertical looks nicer in this case, reminiscent of an ascending rocket), the colors are also different (and more accurate, I believe.....the previous version had an overly strong green cast).  The second version was processed in PixInsight, with which I am using the free trial period.  

NEOWISE_70mm_072120_TGv2.jpg

• h2ologg, eros312, chrysalis and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics