•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

How to set your Binoculars down?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 April 2004 - 06:35 PM

OK, maybe this is stupid, but I'm coming off a nice tumbler of Glenlivet and a nice Macanudo.

Does it matter how I set my bino's down in order to take a sip or a drag? Large lens down on the patio table, sideways so no lens are against the table or put them in the lens covers? I like my binos and have a great time viewing not only the stars, but the swans and geese in my area and I don't want to have them degraded.

Does it matter at all?

#2 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 27 April 2004 - 07:52 PM

Just don't leave them sitting with the eyepieces up and uncovered for days. You'll get a case of the infamous windowsill binoculars. I set mine down flat, so as not to worry about them being knocked over. When done for the time, I put them back in their case.

edz

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 April 2004 - 07:28 AM

That's the same policy I use Edz. Crazy, leaving the EPs up & uncovered bascially turns them into "dust buckets". My binos are usually mounted on a tripod, but when they do come down, I have them laying flat on a table so they won't be knocked over. With the exception of lens cleaning perhaps, bino care is common sense stuff.

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 May 2004 - 09:59 PM

My binoculars sometimes have Macallan induced chromatic aberrations. To ease the problem, I built a parallelogram mount with a [scotch] glass holder on the central column. That way if I fall down both the scotch and the binoculars are safe. Necessity is the Mother of invention, eh?

Cheers,
Eric

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 May 2004 - 03:24 AM

I've seen photos of the Miyauchi factory, with a row of new binoculars "standing" (objective facing down).

Then again, with a 45" Miyauchi the eyepieces are at a same angle regardless of whether it's laid flat or on end.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics