•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Longativity 8SE vs 8" Evolution Mounts

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Newbutnotreallynew

Newbutnotreallynew

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 08:58 AM

So spured on from two other threads in this forum and then re reading the threads here from years past, about people complaining about backlash in the nexstar scopes... 

Should the evolution mount with its better worm gears theorotically outlive the SE mount? Only in terms of gears of course. So say in 10 years time the SE mount should (theoretically) have gear problems the evo wouldn't? 

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted Today, 12:36 PM

The SE has been around a long time so I'm not sure I'd consider it inferior to anything.

Also, there's more to longevity than gears and mechanics.

The electronics in any could go after a few years.  Never know,

#3 mrki233

mrki233

Vostok 1

• Loc: Carlsbad, CA

Posted Today, 05:15 PM

My SE mount is 13 years old and still going strong.  I replaced the hand controller last year because some of the buttons were starting to stick.  Other than that, that little 6SE just keeps on keeping on.  Knocking on wood now....

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics