•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Classic SP-C102 - Very Clammy Vixen!

Celestron classic equipment optics refractor
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted Yesterday, 02:23 PM

I remember seeing the Polaris as early as 1981 in RVR Optical ads.  At least it sure looked like a Polaris with a short 70mm refractor mounted on it.  Seems late 1983 Celestron started showing ads of the black Vixen line of scopes. I bought a brand new SP mount in 1986.  Seems Celestron was ahead of Orion by a few years.  In 1996-97 Celestron started selling the first wave of China made scopes and mounts and they were a huge step down from the Vixen stuff.  The first Gen of CG5 and 4 mounts with the small tripod legs were pretty much junk vs the Vixen mounts.  Seems Orion sold the green Vixen mounts and OTA's around 1990 till about 94 if i remember right.

Orion sold the green Vixen GP and GPDX mounts with aluminum tripods and Orion-branded, Vixen-made Japanese refractors through 2001. I bought one then.

#27 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted Yesterday, 02:59 PM

Orion sold the green Vixen GP and GPDX mounts with aluminum tripods and Orion-branded, Vixen-made Japanese refractors through 2001. I bought one then.

I guess they did but i don't remember. I know they sold many versions.

#28 Kasmos

Kasmos

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So Cal

Posted Yesterday, 03:31 PM

I believe Celestron sold the orange Vixens in1982, for sure in 1983, and went to black in '84

About head bumping finders. My SP-C80 has a swivel finder (like yours) and the other night my hat's visor caught it a few times.

My C60 has the fixed finder and I bumped my head on it several times.

SPC80Finder1-cn.jpg

I'll check them side by side in person but these photos appear to show a difference in their positions relative to the VB.

Vixen-Finder-C60 .jpg

The SP-C80 came with a instruction manual dated 1991 so that helps date it and yours a bit.

Not sure when they changed styles but I think most of the earlier and later models both had the fixed type. 

I have an extra swivel finder but not the base plate, if I can find a base I think I'll mount it on the C60.

The swivel one seemed to have a very wide field and if it gives me a little more room I'd like that..

BTW, The swivel types don't have a tube as the mount itself is the tube. If you tinker with it be careful. 

The front objective unscrews from the mount but there's a tingy grub screw on the bottom locking it's threads.

Another strange feature of these finders, the adjusters don't move the finder, but instead only moves the crosshair cell.

Edited by Kasmos, Yesterday, 03:32 PM.

• Bomber Bob and oldmanastro like this

#29 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted Yesterday, 06:07 PM

My Vixen FL80S had the same "moving reticle" finder as the C102... I love it!  Easy to set, and holds more reliably than traditional finders.  Nice wide field, too -- and better eye relief than the 30mm finders I've used.

• Kasmos likes this

#30 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted Yesterday, 08:41 PM

those were the years that you buy the same model from different vendors with different names on them.   I think they were called Orion by Vixen.  

• Terra Nova likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, classic, equipment, optics, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics