•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I've decided to rebuild/tune my Eq6 mount

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 moxican

moxican

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 01 August 2020 - 11:35 AM

The mount in subject is the venerable NEQ6. I had some discussion about this mount here CN, but now I have decided to just bite the bullet and do a tune up as it was not performing optimally anymore.

I was following the video tutorial from DeepSpace Products (thanks Ed). It is very thorough and easy to follow. So far the NEQ6 is almost completely apart. My main idea was to regrease, replace the 4 worm gear bearings to SKF ones, DIY altitude adjustment and adjust the entire system to top performance.

So far so good, although I had some unexpected issues. On the large tapered bearing located at the bottom of the RA axes, there are 3 small retaining screws, one 2 of them was Philips screw and easy to remove, while one (the bottom one) was a Robertson and it was full of some sort of dirt that I had to dig out from the head of the screw. I bought this mount new so I don't know what this was.

Furthermore, although I was not planning to replace the 6 main shaft bearings (3 on each shaft), 3 of them is bad, one from the DEC axes is really bad. It binds, difficult to turn and it also makes some suttle noise. So, I think I will replace all 6 of them, might as well. Chances are that if 3 is gone from the 6, the other 3 will follow shortly.

I did not take the motors out yet, but I could check the gears and there is a very visible/hearable backlash on both axes, especially on the DEC axes. I will update as I continue the disassembly. Any suggestions are welcome...

Mount-in-pieces.jpg

#2 Xeroid

Xeroid

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 01 August 2020 - 11:42 AM

Just curious but how old is your NEQ6 mount?

#3 moxican

moxican

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 11:48 AM

5 or 6 years old, I don't remember exactly.

#4 Xeroid

Xeroid

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 01 August 2020 - 12:44 PM

Thanks, good to know and good luck with the rebuild!

#5 moxican

moxican

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted Today, 11:40 AM

I ran into a little problem. I have a little hard time finding the right bearings for the aforementioned 6 bearings. The part number is 6008 2RSH. While I can find bearings I am at lost to which is the brand to go for, and whether it's worth going ceramic or not. 

I heard SKF and URB are good brands. I have already ordered the small worm bearings, they are SKF. I was a little disappointed though that they are not that easy to spin. They are not binding or any of that sort, it is their design.

What I'd like to achieve however, is something like this: https://www.youtube....h?v=rQ2C56jQSd4

I understand that it is done by Darkframe Ltd. Is something like this only achievable by hybrid ceramic bearings? I can buy all six steel bearings from SKF for the price of one hybrid bearing.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics