•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Spikes in RA while guiding

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Timmcq1

Timmcq1

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 11:55 AM

Last night while imaging I noticed that I was having sudden spikes in RA error at a seemingly regular interval. I was using Ekos's internal guider, Orion SSAG, and a relatively new EQ6-R, balanced slightly east heavy. My guiding hasn't been great since I got it (RMS is usually around 1-1.2) but these spikes in RA were new. After a while I restarted the software and the problem still persisted. Could this be a problem with the guiding software, or is it a mechanical problem with the mount?

Attached Thumbnails

• Guiding.png

#2 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:09 PM

I don't know Ekos, but to me the above is reminiscent of one time when I had a similar issue with my Mach1. This *may not be YOUR problem*, but in my case I was told it was likely a speck of dirt in the gears, and to fix it, it was recommended that I do several high-speed slews (didn't matter where). 

I was skeptical about that advice, but it worked like a charm. After 10 high-speed slews or so, I tried guiding again and the problem had disappeared and, years later, it has not come back.

You could try it, and if it doesn't work, someone else may chime in meanwhile :)

#3 Timmcq1

Timmcq1

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 04:16 PM

I don't know Ekos, but to me the above is reminiscent of one time when I had a similar issue with my Mach1. This *may not be YOUR problem*, but in my case I was told it was likely a speck of dirt in the gears, and to fix it, it was recommended that I do several high-speed slews (didn't matter where). 

I was skeptical about that advice, but it worked like a charm. After 10 high-speed slews or so, I tried guiding again and the problem had disappeared and, years later, it has not come back.

You could try it, and if it doesn't work, someone else may chime in meanwhile smile.gif

Yeah definitely thought this could be the suspect since I didn't change anything in Ekos. The mount was slewing around last night and the problem was consistent throughout. I'll probably take a look inside the mount and clean the gears directly. Unfortunately we won't get another clear night for another week at least so I won't be able to test it though. 

#4 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 01 August 2020 - 08:05 PM

Yeah definitely thought this could be the suspect since I didn't change anything in Ekos. The mount was slewing around last night and the problem was consistent throughout. I'll probably take a look inside the mount and clean the gears directly. Unfortunately we won't get another clear night for another week at least so I won't be able to test it though. 

Consecutive (no break) high-speed slews was the key. A few slews through the night won't have the same effect. OTOH, I imagine that cleaning the gears directly should work too--we just never had to get to that stage.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics