•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CGX mount noise

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 croteck

croteck

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 12:11 PM

I am changing from a Celestron AVX mount to a CGX mount.  I just got it yesterday, so am only playing with it in the house to get familiar with it. With the AVX mount, when it is done slewing or moving, it just sits there very quietly.  However, with the CGX mount, after it is done slewing or moving, it continues to make a low volume noise like the motors are incrementally adjusting or trying to move. The noise seems to be mostly coming from the DEC part of the mount, but it is hard for me to tell precisely. It seems to never just stop and sit there quietly. Is this normal for the CGX mount or could there be something wrong with it? 

#2 GIFTED1570

GIFTED1570

Explorer 1

Posted 01 August 2020 - 01:18 PM

not normal at all, i have the same mount

• dswtan likes this

#3 croteck

croteck

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 01:47 PM

Thanks - I'll call Celestron first thing Monday morning!

#4 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 02 August 2020 - 03:03 PM

I would have to hear it to know.

#5 Glass Eye

Glass Eye

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ft. Bend County, Texas

Posted 03 August 2020 - 07:38 AM

Make sure to update the HC and MC drivers!

• croteck likes this

#6 croteck

croteck

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 August 2020 - 05:29 PM

Updating the HC and MC drivers is  whole other story.  Getting Celestron CFM to work on any of my Windows 10 computers that apparently hate JAVA is a whole series of cloudy nights in my relatively short astronomy endeavors that I've yet to come close to solving.  I know this is a lengthy topic on other forums in Cloudy Nights.

#7 Ron_MN

Ron_MN

Lift Off

• -----

Posted Today, 09:59 AM

Updating the HC and MC drivers is  whole other story.  Getting Celestron CFM to work on any of my Windows 10 computers that apparently hate JAVA is a whole series of cloudy nights in my relatively short astronomy endeavors that I've yet to come close to solving.  I know this is a lengthy topic on other forums in Cloudy Nights.

Strange.. I just got a CGX a few weeks ago.  I downloaded CFM on my windows 10 laptop, plugged into the USB port on the Mount, powered it up, and it detected the mount and starsense; and updated everything fine.

Ron

#8 DaveSD

DaveSD

Sputnik

• -----

Posted Today, 10:49 AM

I have updated the CGX firmware several times using a Windows 10 laptop, without issue.  It should be a quick and painless process. I suggest you try again, following the instructions exactly. If you still have issues, join TeamCelestron and you might find a solution on that forum or you can pose a question to their FW guy Derek.  Good luck.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics