•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NGC 6992 - The Viel Nebula

astrophotography imaging refractor
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pcos

pcos

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Honeoye Falls, New York

Posted 01 August 2020 - 12:21 PM

The other day I shared an image of NGC 6960 - the Witch's Broom. NGC 6992 is, of course, another prominent part of the Cygnus Loop formation - the remnant of an expanding shockwave bubble from a star that went supernova about 10,000 years ago. 

This was taken on the evening of 7-24-20.  Despite the fact that there were some early clouds, I set up both of my imaging rigs and was capturing photons for most of the evening.  We did have some clouds roll through - causing the guider to loose the guide star - and creating a chain of events where Sequence Generator Pro shut things down, waited a bit and then later - when the clouds had moved off - started the sequence back up. I've had the automation finally working for me for the past month now and  it's starting to pay off.

The framing on this one is a little tight for my focal length - but I think I got most of it in ok.  I planned this out the day before using the mosaic tool in Sequence Generator Pro to lay out the precise framing.  When I executed the sequence last night, the rig slewed to the object, plate solved to confirm location and current angle and then using my Flacon rotator, spun the camera to frame it just so….  Again - the automation is paying off.

Here is the image in Astrobin: https://astrob.in/6ktcpv/0/

Thanks for looking....

Here are the image details:

65 x  120 seconds
50 x 2 second Bias exposures
25 x 120 second Dark exposures
50  Flats

Scope:  William Optics 132mm FLT F/7 APO
Guide Scope:  Apterna 60mm
Camera:  ZWO ASI294MC-Pro
Guide Camera:  ZWO ASI290Mini
Focus Motor:  Pegasus Astro Focus Cube 2
Field Rotator: Pegasus Astro Falcon
Mount: Ioptron CEM60
Polar Alignment: Ioptron Ipolar integrated alignment cameras
Capture Software:  PHD2 Guider, Sequence Generator Pro controller
Image Processing:  Deepsky Stacker, Pixinsight, Photoshop

Attached Thumbnails

• ngc6992_nonlin1-small.jpg

• Gregory, rwstanley, elmiko and 8 others like this

#2 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Skylab

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 01 August 2020 - 12:40 PM

Very nice imaging and processing pcos...!

• pcos likes this

#3 Dynan

Dynan

Soyuz

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 01 August 2020 - 12:40 PM

Beautiful! Nicely done!

In checking your misspelling of 'Veil', I entered 'viel' in the address bar and got this: 

http://www.vielewelt...df_en/capra.pdf

hmm.gif Coincidence? I think not! scratchhead2.gif

Again, beautiful image...

• pcos likes this

#4 pcos

pcos

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 12:53 PM

Beautiful! Nicely done!

In checking your misspelling of 'Veil', I entered 'viel' in the address bar and got this: 

http://www.vielewelt...df_en/capra.pdf

hmm.gif Coincidence? I think not! scratchhead2.gif

Again, beautiful image...

That's hilarious! Yes - there must be a very deep link there!  Some sort of neural-quantum entanglement no doubt.....  lol.gif

Pcos

• Dynan likes this

#5 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 01 August 2020 - 05:26 PM

Very nice image!

How do you like your Pegasus Astro FocusCube v2 so far? Do you recommend it? And why did you go with the ZWO one?

#6 pcos

pcos

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:58 PM

Very nice image!

How do you like your Pegasus Astro FocusCube v2 so far? Do you recommend it? And why did you go with the ZWO one?

Thank you your feedback on the image - much appreciated!

I originally tried the Focus cube2 on my first astrophoto rig.  At the time - it was the only one that was in stock and was something I could get to work with quickly.  My experience with it and Pegasus Astro has been very positive.  It works extremely well and I have found Pegasus Astro support to be very proactive.  I get responses to questions from them within hours.  When I was trying to figure out if it would fit my scope  - they provided lots of photos to help show that it would work.  So based on this I got a second unit for my second rig.  I have been very satisfied with it as well.  If the ZWO focus motor were available I might have gotten that one but it wasn't  - I am very satisfied with where I ended up. I have now purchased a quite a few  of Pegasus Astro products and I continue to find them to be of high quality and good value. 

Hope that helps...

PCos

#7 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 01 August 2020 - 08:58 PM

Thank you your feedback on the image - much appreciated!

I originally tried the Focus cube2 on my first astrophoto rig.  At the time - it was the only one that was in stock and was something I could get to work with quickly.  My experience with it and Pegasus Astro has been very positive.  It works extremely well and I have found Pegasus Astro support to be very proactive.  I get responses to questions from them within hours.  When I was trying to figure out if it would fit my scope  - they provided lots of photos to help show that it would work.  So based on this I got a second unit for my second rig.  I have been very satisfied with it as well.  If the ZWO focus motor were available I might have gotten that one but it wasn't  - I am very satisfied with where I ended up. I have now purchased a quite a few  of Pegasus Astro products and I continue to find them to be of high quality and good value. 

Hope that helps...

PCos

Cool, thank you very much!

#8 Phillip Easton

Phillip Easton

Messenger

• Loc: DFW

Posted Yesterday, 08:13 AM

Nice image, guess I will have to shoot that one this month.

How do you like the Pegasus Astro Falcon rotator?

Cheers!

#9 pcos

pcos

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 11:24 AM

Nice image, guess I will have to shoot that one this month.

How do you like the Pegasus Astro Falcon rotator?

Cheers!

Thanks for your feedback on the image - very much appreciated. 

The Falcon is built like a tank and the app to control it works very well.   I have had some problems with using it specifically with SGP - so for right now -  I am using the manual rotator in SPG - it then tells me how to rotate the camera to get the desired alignment and then I use the Falcon control app tp execute that rotation.   This works but I want SPG to do this automatically. I have always gotten very good support from Pegasus Astro and when I had questions and issues on the Rotator they put me in contact with the programer working on it.  They fixed one bug in the app and driver and worked with the SPG guys to fix a bug that was found in the SPG code.  I am confident that we will get this working automatically in SPG. There is one remaining issue that I am running into and I was promised a fix for this yet this week.

I am sure we will get this worked out.  But even with these early product issues I am very glad I made the purchase. 

PCos

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, imaging, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics