•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

adjusting Micro-Edge focuer knobs on a TOA-130

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 magyar

magyar

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Parkland, FL

Posted 01 August 2020 - 12:40 PM

Hi guys,

I'm having an issue with the focuser on my TOA-130NFB that I'm having a hard time with. I've found a number of threads on a similar subject, but none that solves my problem.

The large knob on the stock micro-edge MEF-4 it came with has a large amount of "slop", where reversing the direction of rotation causes it to slip. The smaller fine-focus knob on it hits the same slip point after a full rotation.

I see that there are a couple set-screws on the inner barrel that can be tightened down securely on the focuser axle (that the pinion is attached to) to eliminate the slippage completely. The problem is that there's no way to actually get to the set-screws once the knob is inserted into the focuser, as they're covered up.

The standard knob on the other side of the axle is on securely on, and there's no slippage at all.

Can anyone tell me what the trick is to tightening down the set-screws on the MEF-4 so that the knob doesn't slip anymore? There's got to be some non-obvious trick to adjusting it properly, but so far it's escaping me.

Many thanks!

#2 edif300

edif300

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Basque Country

Posted Yesterday, 02:56 AM

The large knob in the other side of MEF has too?

(If not: locate a hole in the MEF's large knob, there is a hex set screw in there and tighten it.)

Edited by edif300, Yesterday, 05:00 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics