•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Docter/Noblex discontinued?!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 25585

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 01 August 2020 - 01:19 PM

I have just had an email from Markus Ludes of APM in reply to a query about the Docter/Noblex 12.5mm.

He said "Noblex is back ordered and we do not know if they will do it anymore".

APM site says 3-4 days from order. 

#2 25585

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 01:25 PM

Might just be existing stock has run out & Covid has stalled new production. 

Like Vixen HRs, continuation of any niche brand in these times is even more uncertain than ever before.

I wonder how much the sales of APM's own 12.5mm 84° has impacted those of the Doclex.

Astroshop.eu has "product not available anymore"

Edited by 25585, 01 August 2020 - 01:35 PM.

#3 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Apollo

• Loc: Germany

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:53 PM

Might just be existing stock has run out & Covid has stalled new production. 

Like Vixen HRs, continuation of any niche brand in these times is even more uncertain than ever before.

I wonder how much the sales of APM's own 12.5mm 84° has impacted those of the Doclex.

Astroshop.eu has "product not available anymore"

There is no info release on the Noblex web page regarding the Docter eyepiece discontinuition.

Agenaastro has still 9 items.

Otherwise, I am not sure if the Docter clientele has been shopping the APM eyepiece instead,

to run the Noblex company into a trouble,

JG

• 25585 likes this

#4 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 01 August 2020 - 09:02 PM

Otherwise, I am not sure if the Docter clientele has been shopping the APM eyepiece instead,

to run the Noblex company into a trouble,

Much in the same way BMW or Mercedes Benz does not lose sales to Shanghai General Motors.

Different customers.

• turtle86 and j.gardavsky like this

#5 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Apollo

Posted 02 August 2020 - 04:58 AM

Much in the same way BMW or Mercedes Benz does not lose sales to Shanghai General Motors.

Different customers.

ha, ha, ha,

you have made my day.

Thank you Jeff,

JG

• SandyHouTex likes this

#6 25585

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 02 August 2020 - 05:29 AM

So what optically, for you, makes the Doclex special?

If it has no EOFB, no SAEP, no astigmatism, good enough effective eye relief for glasses - I may go for one if I can find one. But would it beat my 12.5mm Morpheus or 12mm ES92? 

#7 happycamperjohn

happycamperjohn

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:08 AM

@25585 - if i can be poetic for a moment - it presents the most beautiful image i've seen in an eyepiece. For me it's that simple. I've just bought a second one for my binoviewer. In that general focal length i've looked through the Ethos, XW, Delos, Delite, Leica and Nagler (so no Baader nor ES). For me, it stands above these eyepieces in terms of presentation and comfort. I'm sure many will disagree (I'm waiting excitedly for one in particular to chime in lol.gif ).

Eyepeace.

John

• turtle86, eros312, areyoukiddingme and 2 others like this

#8 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 02 August 2020 - 08:39 AM

That’s my impression. For $600 you get insanely good polish. I don’t have the Docter, or any other $600 eyepieces. But I remember when I upgraded from a 100ED to an ED103S. Same aperture, similar glass types but the ED103S was just a bit crisper. As it should be given the price. Or when I compared my 5LVW to my Tak 5LE. The LVW is a wonderful eyepiece that vanquished a TMB 5 Planetary type 1. And certainly it has more AFOV and ER than the Tak. Both premium Japanese eyepieces at the same price point. But in my ED103S the Tak presents a sharper view. Not dramatically; fairly subtle really. But detectable and unmistakable. Maybe it is less light scatter from fewer elements? Or maybe it is because I paid for AFOV and ER with the Vixen, while I paid more for polish with the Tak? Certainly the Tak is a smaller, less complex eyepiece. So if they are the same price, either Tak is ripping me off, or they have higher quality. The views would suggest the latter.

So yeah when people talk about the Docter, Leica Zoom, Ethos or Nikon HW instead of APM HDC, I figure they are going after that last 10% performance in optical quality and willing to pay for it. Sure the difference is subtle but when you see both side by side and can see a definite difference, it can be hard to argue against spending the extra money.

Scott
  • turtle86, eros312, 25585 and 1 other like this

#9 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Apollo

Posted 02 August 2020 - 10:27 AM

That’s my impression. For $600 you get insanely good polish. I don’t have the Docter, or any other $600 eyepieces. But I remember when I upgraded from a 100ED to an ED103S. Same aperture, similar glass types but the ED103S was just a bit crisper. As it should be given the price. Or when I compared my 5LVW to my Tak 5LE. The LVW is a wonderful eyepiece that vanquished a TMB 5 Planetary type 1. And certainly it has more AFOV and ER than the Tak. Both premium Japanese eyepieces at the same price point. But in my ED103S the Tak presents a sharper view. Not dramatically; fairly subtle really. But detectable and unmistakable. Maybe it is less light scatter from fewer elements? Or maybe it is because I paid for AFOV and ER with the Vixen, while I paid more for polish with the Tak? Certainly the Tak is a smaller, less complex eyepiece. So if they are the same price, either Tak is ripping me off, or they have higher quality. The views would suggest the latter.

So yeah when people talk about the Docter, Leica Zoom, Ethos or Nikon HW instead of APM HDC, I figure they are going after that last 10% performance in optical quality and willing to pay for it. Sure the difference is subtle but when you see both side by side and can see a definite difference, it can be hard to argue against spending the extra money.

Scott

Those 10% more performance in optical quality,

may become very important when hunting some faint fuzzies,

or when hunting details in the nebulae and in the galaxies.

The saying is: Have you seen it?

JG

• SeattleScott and 25585 like this

#10 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 August 2020 - 03:13 PM

As for that last iota of performance, well I figure life is short, and I enjoy indulging my curiosity on these things, so I do. 

The Docter is excellent as people say. I don't think it's the last word in sharpness but it is up there with the best.

The real party trick for me is the ease of use. I think it may be the most comfortable eyepiece I have encountered.

And most recently I'm enjoying using it barlowed/Powermated on the planets. The comfort/ease of use is retained with the higher powers, the planet remains spherical (rather than egg-shaped as you get with typical pincushion distorted eyepieces), and of course the detail and color saturation are excellent.

• turtle86, 25585 and j.gardavsky like this

#11 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Apollo

Posted 02 August 2020 - 03:29 PM

The real party trick for me is the ease of use. I think it may be the most comfortable eyepiece I have encountered.

And most recently I'm enjoying using it barlowed/Powermated on the planets. The comfort/ease of use is retained with the higher powers, the planet remains spherical (rather than egg-shaped as you get with typical pincushion distorted eyepieces), and of course the detail and color saturation are excellent.

Yes, it is.

JG

• 25585 likes this

#12 25585

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 10:02 AM

I have had more encouraging replies from other retailers, so am hoping...

Now a fishy question. If you were looking to buy pre-owned, would you be happier to see a "Docter" or "Noblex" branded version for sale? If there was one of each, same price, which would you choose, how big a factor is the name on its barrel?    

#13 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Apollo

Posted Yesterday, 12:16 PM

Now a fishy question. If you were looking to buy pre-owned, would you be happier to see a "Docter" or "Noblex" branded version for sale? If there was one of each, same price, which would you choose, how big a factor is the name on its barrel?    

Definitely DOCTER!

And the S/N counts as well, my DOCTER is the 76th manufactured,

JG

• 25585 likes this

#14 WE349A

WE349A

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted Yesterday, 02:07 PM

Makes zero difference, identical in every way except the name.
  • 25585 likes this

#15 happycamperjohn

happycamperjohn

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted Today, 01:30 AM

Mildly annoyed that i will have two identical eyepieces with different ink on them, and i do love Owls in general, so 2 owls is better than one. But in the end, it doesn't matter at all under the sky (to me).

EDIT: I was curious so i checked the vendor's website and it seems that the little Owl has made it through to the new Noblex Logo - all is good with the world again!

J

Edited by happycamperjohn, Today, 05:08 AM.

• 25585 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics