•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Frustration, FLT98+Rotolock+AFR IV+QHY 9= no go

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Stathis

Stathis

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Greece

Posted 01 August 2020 - 02:01 PM

Help me understand this. I had bought the rotolock focuser to replace the stock one that had malfunctioned and lately the dedicated AFR IV 0.8X focuser (the proper 0.8X reduction version) and tried it with my QHY9. Nope, it won't reach focus for apparently a few cm. It needs more inward travel.

The QHY9 + fliterwheel is 31mm + 10mm adaptor to clear the motor of the wheel. The rotolock focuser is longer than the stock one. But my stock one is busted so I cannot use it. The Reducer has a long barrel as well which adds to the problem. Common logic says that a focuser that is compatible with the scope and a dedicated reducer would work right? But they don't. It doesn't focus for AP. I've been trying different stuff with this scope since 2013, and have had to crop my images because I couldn't find a flattener that worked. I was under the impression that AFR IV did an extension and didn't know there was a proper version that came out later. Found out while reading some stuff, found a used one and tried it but again nope. If I get the newer QHY wheel with smaller motor it may work cause I will save 10mm, but still it isn't certain.This scope doesn't wanna work for me. 

Am I doing something wrong? I send a message to mr Yang but he hasn't responded yet. I have paid +1000 it's original price trying to get it to work over the years. Seeing people make it work with other reducers, I tried them but no go. I've been driven away from imaging due to this and some other RC related problems. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20200721_232010.jpg

Edited by Stathis, 01 August 2020 - 03:21 PM.

#2 mikeinlehigh

mikeinlehigh

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Southwest Florida

Posted 01 August 2020 - 05:41 PM

Stathis, I wonder if you might be better served in the astrophotography forum? I'm sure they deal with trying to get the correct distances with equipment all the time.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics