•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sluggish declination fine-control on Synta EQ3

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mariemarie

mariemarie

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: SF Bay Area

Posted 01 August 2020 - 02:23 PM

Hi all -

Pretty new here so I don't know if this is a problem I can fix or a problem I have to live with.

I got a package deal from Orion as my first rig: a 120ST on an Astroview (EQ3) mount. The right ascension fine-control moves like butter. The declination fine-control . . . well, it's not good. It seems to hesitate with every adjustment. Is this just a thing with GEMs (that declination is sticky)? or is there something I can do to improve it?

Now that I've added a Mak 127 to my kit for higher magnification it's really bugging me.

Thanks!

#2 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:30 PM

Couple of simple ideas:

The balance is now wrong and you need to rebalance for the Mak.

The Dec worm needs adjusting - reads that for some reason it has tightened and so is binding  at places. If the worm it is worth cleaning, regreasing and replacing with a degree of care.

The mounts are in general mass produced and so assembled not to the often expected standards we talk about. so some error is in a way to be expected.

Not sure if the Dec shaft and bearing could be at fault, would doubt that as they are prettyr solid items. And the thick grease that Skywatcher use would I expect mean it was sticky all the time.

My guess it the worm needs attention. Easy enough just as ever needs a little thought applied. They should not be loose and also cannot be tight. It is a balance.

• mariemarie likes this

#3 mariemarie

mariemarie

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: SF Bay Area

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:05 PM

My guess it the worm needs attention. Easy enough just as ever needs a little thought applied. They should not be loose and also cannot be tight. It is a balance.

I did re-balance the weights for the Mak, so I think that's not it. I'll see if there are guides for re-greasing the worm and perhaps that will fix it. It's strange that the RA fine-control works so well and the dec fine-control sticks . . . perhaps it's the less-than-attentive mass production as you suggest.

Thanks for the tips!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics