•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best mod for dedicated astrophotography camera

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 TAK346

TAK346

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 02:29 PM

I have a Canon 7ti which I only use for astrophotography no other photography.  I’d like to have it modified.  What would be the best modification for deep space imaging with a SW Evostar 100ED refractor?  I read many, sometimes confusing, pros/cons for full spectrum v H-alpha only.  Is there a simple modification which will not require many additional filters?  Life Pixel, Kolar Vision and Spenser’s Camera have options.  I’d like advice in choosing the correct one.

#2 Sandy Swede

Sandy Swede

Mariner 2

• Loc: Delaware beaches

Posted 01 August 2020 - 02:47 PM

You may wish to correspond with CN vendor astrohobbyist (Daniel).  He modified my Canon M50 and I am very satisfied.  You have three levels of modification from which to choose (see link below).

https://www.cloudyni...-full-spectrum/

#3 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:14 PM

I have several modified DSLRs with both the Baader (H-alpha) and full spectrum mods. Unless you have a specific interest in going all the way out to the near IR the additional response of the full spectrum mod serves no real purpose. For astronomical imaging the Baader mod is plenty good enough.

Food for thought.

#4 TAK346

TAK346

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:19 PM

You may wish to correspond with CN vendor astrohobbyist (Daniel).  He modified my Canon M50 and I am very satisfied.  You have three levels of modification from which to choose (see link below).

https://www.cloudyni...-full-spectrum/

Thank you for the link.  I will ask him a couple of questions,

#5 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:23 PM

I have a Canon 7ti which I only use for astrophotography no other photography.  I’d like to have it modified.  What would be the best modification for deep space imaging with a SW Evostar 100ED refractor?  I read many, sometimes confusing, pros/cons for full spectrum v H-alpha only.  Is there a simple modification which will not require many additional filters?  Life Pixel, Kolar Vision and Spenser’s Camera have options.  I’d like advice in choosing the correct one.

This is _really_ simple, although the words (and some misinfrmation out there) make it difficult. 

"Full spectrum" sounds sexy, but almost no one needs it.  If you're an exception, you'll know it.  You'll need an additional UV-IR blocking filter.

Ha replaces the camera filter with a UV-IR blocker that passes Ha, which is what you need.  No additional filter is necessary.

Minor point.  I used LifePixel, very professional vendor.

Edited by bobzeq25, 01 August 2020 - 03:25 PM.

• Juno18 likes this

#6 Sandy Swede

Sandy Swede

Mariner 2

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:26 PM

Tak346:

#3. Enhanced modification

Although not discussed specifically, I would not expect that the dust reduction capability has been removed.  I'm sure he would have disclosed that outcome.  But, like they say, "never assume . . . . " 

#7 TAK346

TAK346

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:34 PM

I have several modified DSLRs with both the Baader (H-alpha) and full spectrum mods. Unless you have a specific interest in going all the way out to the near IR the additional response of the full spectrum mod serves no real purpose. For astronomical imaging the Baader mod is plenty good enough.

Food for thought.

Thank you for your experienced advice.  H-alpha appears to be the way to go - for my uses.

• bobzeq25 likes this

#8 TAK346

TAK346

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:47 PM

This is _really_ simple, although the words (and some misinfrmation out there) make it difficult. 

"Full spectrum" sounds sexy, but almost no one needs it.  If you're an exception, you'll know it.  You'll need an additional UV-IR blocking filter.

Ha replaces the camera filter with a UV-IR blocker that passes Ha, which is what you need.  No additional filter is necessary.

Minor point.  I used LifePixel, very professional vendor.

Thank you.  All the options LifePixel presented were daunting.  I read a review on the LifePixel site which suggested that the H-Alpha mod eliminated the dust reduction feature.  The Kolar Vision description indicates that they maintain it but I should ask LifePixel directly.

#9 TAK346

TAK346

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:51 PM

Tak346:

#3. Enhanced modification

Although not discussed specifically, I would not expect that the dust reduction capability has been removed.  I'm sure he would have disclosed that outcome.  But, like they say, "never assume . . . . " 

I thought it was interesting that option #3 states: "conversion preserves the Low Pass Filter. The LPF creates a slight gaussian blurring effect on images for the purpose of reduce moire effect"  If we are shooting in RAW why not get rid of the LPF?  I think it is more an issue with jpg images.

#10 Readerp

Readerp

Mariner 2

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 01 August 2020 - 04:07 PM

Lifepixel Canon DSLR H-Alpha Camera Conversion is what you want, I think.

I have had a Nikon D5300 and D810 converted to pass H-alpha with the replacement UV/IR cut that they install.

Both have worked perfectly. No issues with reflections of bright stars.

• bobzeq25 likes this

#11 TAK346

TAK346

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 04:31 PM

Lifepixel Canon DSLR H-Alpha Camera Conversion is what you want, I think.

I have had a Nikon D5300 and D810 converted to pass H-alpha with the replacement UV/IR cut that they install.

Both have worked perfectly. No issues with reflections of bright stars.

Thank you - the advice here was been very useful and specific.  My research on various sites was confusing.

#12 Sandy Swede

Sandy Swede

Mariner 2

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:18 PM

I thought it was interesting that option #3 states: "conversion preserves the Low Pass Filter. The LPF creates a slight gaussian blurring effect on images for the purpose of reduce moire effect"  If we are shooting in RAW why not get rid of the LPF?  I think it is more an issue with jpg images.

Perhaps if you will not need to take photos in the daytime, that is not an issue.  I wanted to be able to have the jpeg along with RAW.

#13 TAK346

TAK346

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:59 PM

Perhaps if you will not need to take photos in the daytime, that is not an issue.  I wanted to be able to have the jpeg along with RAW.

Yes - that makes sense.  Thank you.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics