•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Suggest accessories for my new ES127CF FCD1

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Hax

Hax

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: PEI Canada

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:34 PM

Recently purchased this scope and the exos 2GT mount. Looking for suggestions for anything to make more efficient, or more fun to use. Any EPs, or add ons. Finder scopes anything like that! I'm quite new still and need to learn what accessories are must haves. TIA!

PS the only EPs I have are a 25mm and 10mm standard plossl, and a 5x Barlow.. other than that I have no accessories at all. 

-James C

• Echolight likes this

#2 Hax

Hax

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:35 PM

I'm looking into some ES eyepieces and a few filters but made a post in the EP section to gather more info on that.

#3 Stellar1

Stellar1

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:44 PM

Keep in mind, when selecting eyepieces, disregard if you already know, divide the focal length of your scope by the focal length of the eyepiece to get the power said eyepiece. 

Astro Buy and Sell is a great spot to get used but great condition eyepieces.

eg:

scope= 1000mm

eyepiece=10mm

equals 100X magnification

#4 Hax

Hax

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:47 PM

Yeah, the scope is 950mm (952mm), and I think the max useful mag is around 240x. I've actually used the 5x and the 25mm on the moon, and it's extremely touchy and shaky in the wind but was able to achieve focus :p

#5 bjulihn

bjulihn

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Langley, BC. Canada

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:57 PM

Hi Hax;

That is a beautiful and fairly high end telescope. For visual use, I would want to match it with several higher quality eyepieces. ES and Televue both make very good eyepieces with wider field of view than plossl design. I would suggest that you will want at least 3 eyepieces, a high magnification, a medium, and a low power eyepiece. I believe you have a focal length of around 900mm. Your 25mm eyepiece would give you about 36X. My own preference would be a 32mm eyepiece which would get you down to 28X for a low power eyepiece. Low power will give you your brightest views. For medium I would look for something in the 14mm area. That gives you about 65X. For higher power, you could go for a 4-5mm. A 4mm gets you 225X but it the exit pupil is likely to be very small.

I have never used a 5X barlow but I also can imagine using one. A 2X barlow is likely to be more useful to give you a variety of magnifications, in my opinion. If you are viewing the Moon you may want a Moon polarizing filter, otherwise it is extremely bright.

• Hax likes this

#6 Echolight

Echolight

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 01 August 2020 - 04:25 PM

Might need another counterweight if you only got the one 9 pound weight with the mount.

• BoldAxis1967 likes this

#7 Jethro7

Jethro7

Viking 1

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:11 PM

Hello James,

For what ever it is worth. 200X is about the max you will need for most nights.do to seeing conditions. With my little 102mm refractor. My favorite Eyepieces are The Baader Hyperion 8 X 24 Zoom with 2.5 Barlow. TV 31mm NT5 and ES20mm 100° for beautiful lower power wide field views that are just stunning.  Other things that I like using are a TV Starbeam star finder. It is fast and easy to use and the mirror really comes in handy when you are viewing close to the Zenith. And I feel at some point you will need dew control. Dew will end a viewing session very quickly. I dont know how much of a beginner you are even if you are a intermediate Astronomer I like to advise on picking up three books. They are chock full of information to get you up and going on the right path to Amateur Astronomy .

"The Backyard Atronomers Guide" Revised and Expanded Third  Edition, by Terrence Dickerson and Alan Dyer

" Night Watch" Revised Fourth Edition  by Terence Dickerson

" Turn Left at Orion by Guy Consolmagno and Dan Davis.

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

Edited by Jethro7, Yesterday, 11:37 AM.

• bjulihn likes this

#8 bjulihn

bjulihn

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Langley, BC. Canada

Posted Yesterday, 11:30 AM

Totally agree with Jethro7: dew heater, red dot finder, and "Night Watch". 

Brad

• Jethro7 and Hax like this

#9 PPPPPP42

PPPPPP42

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Posted Yesterday, 11:21 PM

With a goto scope you really only need a red dot for calibrating the goto function though I have no idea what the process is like with that one vs my celestron goto.

I rather like the 3 eyepieces I have with basically the same scope you have (see signature) though you could substitute the 9mm 100 for the 120 that I bought which is really more of a novelty than a necessity.

The 82 degree series is much more reasonably priced and still nicely wide as well.

That gives you this:

https://astronomy.to...|1||&messier=45

I have no need of wider with the huge view of the 20mm 100 degree and the seeing where I live is usually such crap that I have yet to get around to justifying anything with higher magnification than 5.5mm (173x).

ES doesn't have an option unless I drop back to the 82 degree and the televue ethos 4.7 110 degree is tempting but too close to my 5.5 in magnification for that much money and I think the 3.7 might be pushing exit pupil size into the glitchy range (.49mm) and even the 5.5 is so dim its really only useful for planetary and lunar.

Edited by PPPPPP42, Yesterday, 11:22 PM.

#10 BoldAxis1967

BoldAxis1967

Viking 1

• Loc: Kentucky

Posted Today, 05:43 AM

Might need another counterweight if you only got the one 9 pound weight with the mount.

I totally agree.  I use this scope on a Gpd2 mount with 13 lbs counterweights and I have used even more, about 16 lbs. I also use vibration dampening pads. 

Edited by BoldAxis1967, Today, 05:46 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics