•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Alignment of NG 102 ...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 WeeGussie

WeeGussie

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:48 PM

Hello Everyone:

My father-in-law picked up a Meade NG 102 refractor and we set it up last night. Leveled the tripod, leveled the scope, pointed everything to approximate north. It got dark enough to see Polaris and I went into the alignment mode. Did an offset for true north ... that's how I align my other EQ mount scopes with good results for drift & tracking. Using the two star alignment. The first star is nowhere near the field of view. I'm talking a good 15º or more, away. Slew to the star and hit enter. Set second star and it was within a few degrees, but again, not real close, relatively. Centered and set. Went to the first goto object and it was off by about 3-4º ... I reset the alignment several times using various different methods throughout the night ... Polaris centered instead, magnetic north and so on. At no time could I get the scope to slew within 3-4º of what we were looking for. I've never owned a goto scope and have zero experience with their set-up, until last night. Is this normal for this scope? I used a mates C-11 years ago and it was dialed-in to objects, centered dead-on. I understand the limitations involved with the cost of this versus a higher end scope/drive, but seriously? 3-4º? I know what I am looking for, but if I were a beginner, I would find this seriously off-putting ... any advise or comments welcome. cheers

#2 LCWASTRO

LCWASTRO

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Columbus, Ohio United States

Posted 01 August 2020 - 05:25 PM

More than 2 alignment stars try and make sure the location date and time are correct.

• WeeGussie likes this

#3 WeeGussie

WeeGussie

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 05:40 PM

Time is spot on as I updated my mobile with WWV to do some bright EB timings later that night ... I am going with new Lat/Lon tonight as it literally is the only thing left (other than a poor mount/electronics) that I can suss out wrong. Thank you LCWASTRO, cheers.

#4 alval

alval

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:33 PM

I think lcwastro was refering to your utc time set in the mount settings, as in for me it is utc + 9.5 normal and during daylight savings selecting yes during alignment. Not selecting yes for dst puts you about 15 degrees out when you dial in local time. And as he said the correct site location in settings. 

#5 LCWASTRO

LCWASTRO

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 01 August 2020 - 08:47 PM

Yeah what he said. :D Please post back though there are more knowledgeable people!

#6 WeeGussie

WeeGussie

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2020 - 01:15 AM

The time option simply asks for your local time and whether you are DST or not. Again, this isn't a very complex scope which I wondered, is part of the issue. Turns out, the scope/drive has a 'precision mode' and is **** near spot on. Turning this off, renders the scope no better than wild-eyed pistol waver. Could be anywhere from 4 to 15º off depending on where in the sky you are pointing. Precision gets you to within a degree or two of a known star, asks for you to centre & enter and then slews to the object you've asked for. Thank you everyone for your input and advice. Cheers.

#7 LCWASTRO

LCWASTRO

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 02 August 2020 - 10:50 AM

GREAT!!!!! SOOOO happy you got it working!!!!! MUCH happies (clear nights)!

LCWASTRO

• WeeGussie likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics