•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Computer Issue- Memory, Storage,... I don't know. Need a whiz kid.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colchester, VT

Posted 01 August 2020 - 05:23 PM

So two nights ago I was imaging with Voyager in Array mode.  Collecting data from two cameras at the same time.  I ran out of hard drive space in the middle of the session which of course aborted as it couldnt write anymore.

Oops... wont make that mistake again.

So last night, I freed up 9GB of hard drive space which was plenty to cover the night's session.  At 2:07 I ran into "memory" issues and ended up not being able to write three files completely from each camera and that was the last of my data.  However last night, I still had 4.5GB of space free on my hard drive.

Below is a screen shot of what I found this morning with partially written files. 

NoWrite.JPG

I emailed Leo and asked him if he could look at the log to help me figure it out.  He identified the errors below and highlighted the key information in Red. 

2020/08/01 02:03:19 236 - INFO      - [Base2                        ] - [SaveVoyagerScreenShot                        ] - ScreenShot of Voyager Saved. Reason = Custom Array Sequence [ManageShotError] : Error Waiting Remote Action Result : Finished Error ([AT92] Remote Shot Error (Cannot Save FIT File)) {File : C:\Users\Losmandy\Documents\Voyager\ScreenShot\VoyagerSS_20200801_020319_207.png}
020/08/01 02:04:46 823 - WARNING   - [SCArraySequenceMix           ] - [AttendiEsitoAzione                           ] - [Redcat] Error during Shot => Error Waiting Remote Action Result : Finished Error ([Redcat] Remote Shot Error (Cannot Save FIT File))
2020/08/01 02:04:46 912 - WARNING   - [SCArraySequenceMix           ] - [ManageShotError                              ] - [Redcat] Expose Error (Tulip_Reduced_LIGHT_L_60s_BIN1_-10C_A2_178_20200801_020228_442_PA0_E.FIT) => Error Waiting Remote Action Result : Finished Error ([Redcat] Remote Shot Error (Cannot Save FIT File))
2020/08/01 02:04:46 961 - CRITICAL  - [Base2                        ] - [SaveVoyagerScreenShot                        ] - Cannot save screenshot [Custom Array Sequence [ManageShotError] : Error Waiting Remote Action Result : Finished Error ([Redcat] Remote Shot Error (Cannot Save FIT File))] of Voyager : A generic error occurred in GDI+.

So, now that I know this... what the heck does it mean and what do I do about it???

Many thanks.

#2 John Rogers

John Rogers

Viking 1

Posted 01 August 2020 - 05:37 PM

You didn't specify what operating system you have, but I will assume Windows.  Have you tried running disk cleanup under hard disk properties?  Perhaps there are files in the recycle bin taking up space?

#3 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:04 PM

I would run a disk cleanup after deleting the files. My computer has a disk thats almost full and windows 10 reminds me every 10 seconds.  I keep my data on an external drive on my imaging laptop. If your OS and image integration are saving to the same disk, then the OS might need a little more space. 

Do you use the laptop for processing data as well? if not Id recommend one of these https://www.bestbuy....cB&gclsrc=aw.ds with a little 1tb m.2 sata drive. Makes moving data between computers a piece of cake. 

Edited by calypsob, 01 August 2020 - 06:05 PM.

#4 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:33 PM

I am using windows 10... up to date.

I will try disk cleanup.  I ran it a few weeks ago, so unless there is something unique about filling a hard drive up since then that disk cleanup could help... im not too optimistic. 

This is a dedicated capture PC.  It's a minux and it has a second hard drive installed (128GB M2).  Thats the drive I normally write to, but Voyager array does not support selecting where you save files, so at this time it is writing to the C drive. 

EDIT-  Voyager does allow this.  It's a setup setting, not in sequence. 

Edited by ChrisWhite, 02 August 2020 - 09:20 AM.

#5 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:41 PM

Hi Chris:

Can you explain more about what you mean by "memory isssues"?  Also, what kind of processor do you have and how much RAM?  Have you been running in this same dual camera mode for a while with no problems, or is this something new you're trying?

Unfortunately, log files can be very difficult to properly interpret by anyone except the software developer.  Sure the error says it cannot save the file, but it doesn't say why it can't.  Is that simply an error that's being reported as-is from the OS?  Or is it an error generated by Voyager based on something that happened?  Only Leo would know.  Could be that your computer took longer to write a file than Voyager expected and it timed out.  Could be that your computer was having trouble keeping up with 2 data streams at the same time.  Again, no way to know without more insight from Leo.

-Dan

Edited by Midnight Dan, 01 August 2020 - 06:50 PM.

#6 Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon

Viking 1

• Loc: Orem, Utah, USA

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:42 PM

Also check the drive for errors.  (right-click the drive, select tool, check for errors)  This will clean up any file that may not have been written properly and are taking up space but shouldn't be.  It will also find cross linked files as well.  (when the file system has tried to write two different files to the same location)  It's a good idea to check for errors whenever you get out of space issues that cause programs to crash.

#7 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:55 PM

@Dan:  Running an Intel N4200 with 8GB Ram. The dual camera setup is fairly new, although I've used it probably a half dozen times without any issues.  Problem started the session AFTER I accidentally let the hard drive fill up on a previous run.  Related?

There really isnt that much data streaming all at once to be honest.  QSI camera is USB2 and is downloading a file every 2 minutes while ZWO 533 is downloading a file every 60 seconds.  Guidecam is doing 2 second exposures, USB2.  Other than that I have two autofocusers (which dont do much) as well as my mount (mach 1).

The imaging cameras are running directly to the Computer's USB ports, while the accessories are running through a hub into the third USB port on the computer. 

@Wes/Chuck/John-  Just ran Disk Cleanup.  Identified 8mb is stuff to get rid of.  (I just ran this a few weeks ago).  Also I scanned the drive for errors and no errors were found. 

Leo didnt give me any additional insights other than watch to see whats going on and identify apps that could be causing problems.  I've asked him for a little more info, but it's late in Italy right now.

#8 StephenW

StephenW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:25 PM

Chris, how much space is left on your C:?   Is it possible that even after freeing up the 9GB you stil managed to fill it up again...?   You can check by opening File Explorer, right click on C: and click on Properties.  You will be able to see how much free space is left on your drive.

#9 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:39 PM

Chris, how much space is left on your C:?   Is it possible that even after freeing up the 9GB you stil managed to fill it up again...?   You can check by opening File Explorer, right click on C: and click on Properties.  You will be able to see how much free space is left on your drive.

Plenty.  This morning after discovering that I had these issues at 2am... I still had 4.5GB of disk space left. 

#10 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:44 PM

I am using windows 10... up to date.

I will try disk cleanup.  I ran it a few weeks ago, so unless there is something unique about filling a hard drive up since then that disk cleanup could help... im not too optimistic. 

This is a dedicated capture PC.  It's a minux and it has a second hard drive installed (128GB M2).  Thats the drive I normally write to, but Voyager array does not support selecting where you save files, so at this time it is writing to the C drive. 

Thats really strange that voyager wont let you save where you want to.  Seems like that would be an easy fix for the dev 

#11 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:47 PM

Thats really strange that voyager wont let you save where you want to.  Seems like that would be an easy fix for the dev 

Just to clarify, this is only the case with Voyager Array.  When imaging with a single camera, you can select this.

I am hopeful (and imagine) this would be in a future update.  Array is still pretty new. 

#12 kyle528

kyle528

Viking 1

• Loc: SE Ohio

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:49 PM

I notice the time stamps on the subs up until 2 am are right at 2 minutes apart, and the last three are several more minutes apart.. Makes me wonder about download issues from the camera? Looks like the third from the last sub got just a bit of data and then zip after that. Strange..

#13 santafe retiree

santafe retiree

Viking 1

Posted 01 August 2020 - 08:08 PM

I'm gonna take software error for $500 please Alex -

I don't think it is a drive or memory issue - you are receiving three error messages -

1)  2020/08/01 02:04:46 961 - CRITICAL  - [Base2] - [SaveVoyagerScreenShot] - Cannot save screenshot [Custom Array Sequence [ManageShotError] :

I am betting software on that one

2) Error Waiting Remote Action Result : Finished Error ([Redcat] Remote Shot Error (Cannot Save FIT File))] of Voyager

That could be storage but given the first error I think the software could not save the file because of the first error so again my bet is software

3) A generic error occurred in GDI+

Definitely software - GDI+ is a C+ API that allows third party  programs to interact with Windows

Have you uninstalled and re-installed Voyager?  Did Windows do an update between your last successful session and the failed session?

Cheers,

Tom

#14 jdupton

jdupton

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 01 August 2020 - 09:26 PM

Chris,

You should also be aware that Windows will show "memory" errors at times when disk space is low. After stopping the running programs, you can find that there appears to be plenty of disk space free. This seeming contradiction is because of Windows' use of dynamic virtual memory. As programs request more and more RAM, Windows starts moving data from RAM to the hard drive. This action is essentially invisible to the user.

It is possible for your 8 GB RAM system to be using 16 GB of total memory when multiple bulky programs are running. Windows considers the sum of real RAM plus virtual memory page space (stored on the hard drive) as "Memory". When that gets low, it can report "out of memory" errors to applications that request more memory. Once you exit the running programs, the extra virtual memory may no longer be needed and the drive space is recovered automatically leaving what may appear to be plenty of room.

You probably need considerably more drive space than just 4 GB to 8 GB to satisfy both file storage and Windows' need for virtual memory page space. You should move files off the Windows drive or else manually allocate additional Page Space storage on another drive (if you have one).

John

Edited by jdupton, 01 August 2020 - 09:28 PM.

• Paul Garais, Rudix and phocus5x5 like this

#15 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 01 August 2020 - 10:39 PM

I'm with John.  You said you had 4.5 GB of space left on your drive.  That may be plenty for storing images.  But Windows is frequently allocating and releasing drive space as needed for virtual memory.  The fact is, you don't just need space for your stuff, your drive needs a "slush fund" of space for Windows and apps to dip into and play around with.  4.5GB is considered a tiny amount of free space on a drive these days.  Voyager may have been trying to save a file when there was no space available.

Rule of thumb is you should have 10-20% of your hard drive space free.  Here's a reference - scroll down to #6:

https://www.isunshar...-on-windows-10/

-Dan

#16 Ryou

Ryou

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 01 August 2020 - 11:01 PM

I'm with John.  You said you had 4.5 GB of space left on your drive.  That may be plenty for storing images.  But Windows is frequently allocating and releasing drive space as needed for virtual memory.  The fact is, you don't just need space for your stuff, your drive needs a "slush fund" of space for Windows and apps to dip into and play around with.  4.5GB is considered a tiny amount of free space on a drive these days.  Voyager may have been trying to save a file when there was no space available.

Rule of thumb is you should have 10-20% of your hard drive space free.  Here's a reference - scroll down to #6:

https://www.isunshar...-on-windows-10/

-Dan

I'm going to 3rd this as I think by default Windows will use a good chunk of "reserved" hard drive space for this. This is configurable (see the link above on 5) so I would consider looking at that and seeing how much this is using vs the 4.5 free you say you have. In fact I just checked mine and it's at about 5gigs with the automatic settings, however I also have 32gigs of ram + around 2tb of free disk space atm on the PC I'm on.

#17 phocus5x5

phocus5x5

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 August 2020 - 04:38 AM

I'm going to 3rd this as I think by default Windows will use a good chunk of "reserved" hard drive space for this. This is configurable (see the link above on 5) so I would consider looking at that and seeing how much this is using vs the 4.5 free you say you have. In fact I just checked mine and it's at about 5gigs with the automatic settings, however I also have 32gigs of ram + around 2tb of free disk space atm on the PC I'm on.

New to this forum, new to astrophotography and happy to be here.

I'm fourthing it due to my experience with space allocation and virtual memory issues way back when where 50 megabyte hard drives, yes Fifty MB, was generous and floppy discs were actually floppy and had to be used as essential part of OS and app functionality. Yes, I'm that old.

I recall how the deployment of those new-fangled 3.5 inch "floppy" disks and drives featuring a whopping 1.44 mb of space were simply amazing to work with and loading an app took 8 of those pesky critters to upload during an excruciatingly long time before anything could get going.

Edited by phocus5x5, 02 August 2020 - 04:39 AM.

#18 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 02 August 2020 - 05:57 AM

Well this recent line of discussion is interesting.  Thanks guys for all of this. I'll take a look to see how much HD space is allocated for use as temporary memory as well.   #4 in Dan's link. 

In any event, it sounds like this could be what is going on here. 

#19 Paul Garais

Paul Garais

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Sendenhorst, Germany

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:20 AM

I am also on "team pagefile.sys".

An additional hint on that topic: I recommend to manual set a size for the pagefile. The advantage is, that Windows will reserve that space even if it is not in use and won't show it as free space.

If you let the system manage the pagefile, it will increase and decrease the size of it as needed (within the limitations) and the value that your drive shows as free space is not reliable.

—Paul
  • phocus5x5 likes this

#20 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:57 AM

I just checked my PC and this is what I found:

Virtual Memory.JPG

Should I just disable Virtual Memory?  This PC is ONLY used for capture, and programs such as voyager, phd, etc... are not very resource intensive (AFAIK). 

#21 Paul Garais

Paul Garais

Messenger

• -----

Posted 02 August 2020 - 07:01 AM

I don't think, you should turn it off. It can cause problems, even with no resource hungry apps. It can lead to an unstable OS.

#22 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 02 August 2020 - 07:05 AM

I don't think, you should turn it off. It can cause problems, even with no resource hungry apps. It can lead to an unstable OS.

Thanks Paul.

OK!  I have an update.  It doesnt fix the computer issue I am having, but it *should* solve the data collecting issue I am having. 

Leo wrote back and suggested that I change the DEFAULT location where voyager saves data.  I didnt know I could do this.  It's not an in sequence setting for Voyager Array like it is for Single Instance Voyager so I missed this.    In any event, I can change it to save data directly to my M2 drive.  It's not been tested with Array yet, so I will be the guinea pig... but this would be a solution. 

• Paul Garais likes this

#23 Paul Garais

Paul Garais

Messenger

• -----

Posted 02 August 2020 - 07:07 AM

That would be great. Wish you luck with that!

#24 entilza

entilza

Soyuz

• Loc: Oakville, ON, Canada

Posted 02 August 2020 - 07:29 AM

Hey Chris. Can you test with taking darks to reproduce?

Here's a quick trick to free up a few gigs of space.

Run this as admin in command.

powercfg.exe /hibernate off

I doubt any of us use hibernate. It should free up 2+ gigs of space.

Also when you do disk cleanup be sure to click the system files button. Look for window updates.

Did you also reinstall Voyager? I had a similar issue once after running out of space but it was even more severe. Some config got messed and after reinstalling it was fine. (Ps. Love voyager!)

Goodluck!

#25 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 02 August 2020 - 08:05 AM

Did you also reinstall Voyager? I had a similar issue once after running out of space but it was even more severe. Some config got messed and after reinstalling it was fine. (Ps. Love voyager!)

Goodluck!

I find this statement interesting.  Almost as if there was some sort of bound error that voyager remembered from the last session only allowing it to utilize the space from the previous session.. not realizing that the NEW session had more space available.  Like something didnt purge when the session ended. 

I went back and looked and on the night that I did actually run out of space mid session I had about 4.1GB of data.  Then the next session when I had about 8GB of space actually free, voyager ran into the write problem at... well... you guessed.. once the same amount of data was written. 

Maybe the reinstall cleared this error?  I really have no idea what I'm talking about, but I reinstalled voyager (actually there was an update available anyway).  This along with Leo helping me to change settings to write to another drive.. I should be all set!

PS-  I also LOVE voyager.  Array is so cool.  Being able to run a piggyback is great.  I am hoping that I can collect RGB data with the OSC and spend all my time wiht mono collecting LUM.  If I am happy with these results that would result in an epic data collecting machine.  Luminance at f3.6 and OSC RGB data at f2.8!!!  10 hours total would be really deep indeed!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics