•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Observatory? or just a light break?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DonP

DonP

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:00 PM

Hi All been a while since i have been on Cloudy Nights.    I have not been active for 2+ years. I live in a bortle 5+ sight so viewing is not the best.

A bout 4 months ago during lock down i found a youtuber Astor Backyard and he was taking very nice pictures  in a bortle 7++ in toronto canada. (they make light pollution filters, Who knew)

so i am going to try my hand at astrophotography.

Ok the light break/Observatory? 

I called my county Planning & Development office and ask if i could take 4 8x6 wood fence sections put them in a square 8x8 no roof no floor. with 4 4x4" 8' with 2 feet in the ground.

so waiting for the jump to list and fees, she was speaking to some one and ask a some questions. no electric right? no water right.    pausssssss. came back on line your ok  no fees no paperwork.  ok you can do that just stay back from the road 30 feet.  ok thanks.

So what do i call it. lol   Observatory?  oooo we need to tax that not everyone has an Observatory?.

light break works lol. clear sky all

Edited by DonP, 01 August 2020 - 06:04 PM.

#2 photomagica

photomagica

Mariner 2

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:25 PM

Well - out west here we call that a mighty small corralwink.gif

Actually, most small observatories fall into the classification of "garden shed." If small enough (under 100 sq. ft in Calgary) these typically don't attract permits or fees. Ask your permitting office about garden sheds and you just might be able to have a roof as well.

Best of luck with your photography.

Bill

#3 dagadget

dagadget

Viking 1

• Loc: Avon Park, Florida

Posted 01 August 2020 - 08:49 PM

tanandwhite1.jpg I am in a Bortle 4 or 5 myself but I have a skyshed pod coming in the next couple of months. A light break for sure and a great place to store my equipment set up during the rest of the time.

• DonP likes this

#4 DonP

DonP

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 09:46 PM

photomagica   i used to sell Graceland portable building, i can still get a discount. lol     and it is 150 sq ft here no permit needed  and 750 sq ft small home in the county and 950 sq ft in town.  i

am converting my dodge full size van in to an rv.

i am retired now i want to travel  to better sky's and do some astrophotography and normal photography too. and ham radio and lol.

Edited by DonP, 01 August 2020 - 09:51 PM.

• CCD-Freak likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics