•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

80 mm starsense refractor vs 114 mm starsense reflector

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mattyb584

Mattyb584

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:09 PM

hey all, I'm very very new to astronomy and looking to buy my first scope and I'm intrigued by the celestron starsense explorer scopes. Whether or not the optics are any good or the mount is worthwhile, I'm just curious if in your opinions the 80mm refractor or 114mm reflector is a better scope in general?

I have very little experience with telescopes in general but I've spent a few hours with a very cheap 70mm refractor (without a finderscope and only one 10mm eyepiece.) Honestly can't decide and everyone will have a different opinion I'm sure.

Sorry if you guys get a lot of questions like these but any feedback would be appreciated!

#2 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Viking 1

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:14 PM

Welcome to CloudyNights!

This thread might help: https://www.cloudyni...sense-explorer/

Clear Skies.

#3 gene 4181

gene 4181

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: n.e. ohio

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:18 PM

Whatever you do , DON'T get the 114 mm Newtonian , its a Bird Jones  Newtonian ....  its a very fast spherical  primary  with a 2 x  corrector that doubles the focal length and  (tries to )  correct for spherical aberrations  in the draw tube (where the eyepiece goes)  The 5in f5 is a plain  parabolic Newtonian  ,    my only  thing on it ,   

Edited by gene 4181, 01 August 2020 - 06:24 PM.

• Augustus likes this

#4 cookjaiii

cookjaiii

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeast PA

Posted 01 August 2020 - 11:14 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights!

There is no one scope that's right for everybody, and there are many factors you want to consider.

Budget?

What do you like to view?  Moon & planets?  Deep sky objects?

Is portability important to you?

Storage space?

Light pollution in your intended viewing location?

It's good to ask questions, because that will save you a lot of money in the long run. 

• Mattyb584 likes this

#5 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Florida

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:34 AM

hey all, I'm very very new to astronomy and looking to buy my first scope and I'm intrigued by the celestron starsense explorer scopes. Whether or not the optics are any good or the mount is worthwhile, I'm just curious if in your opinions the 80mm refractor or 114mm reflector is a better scope in general?

I have very little experience with telescopes in general but I've spent a few hours with a very cheap 70mm refractor (without a finderscope and only one 10mm eyepiece.) Honestly can't decide and everyone will have a different opinion I'm sure.

Sorry if you guys get a lot of questions like these but any feedback would be appreciated!

Heya,

What's your budget?
Where can you by from?

Very best,

#6 Mattyb584

Mattyb584

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2020 - 01:03 PM

Thanks for all the replies everyone! To answer your questions, my budget is about $200 max at the moment unfortunately. I'll eventually save up for a 8" or 10" dobsonian or 8" cassegrain but in the meantime I'm anxious to at least get a glimpse. 

I'd prefer to start with moons/planets in our solar system and then graduate to DSOs eventually. 

Portability helps but I don't mind lugging things around, and storage space isn't an issue. I live in a fairly rural part of the USA so light pollution is easy for me to avoid. 

Malveaux, I don't understand what you mean exactly. When you say where do you mean like online vs in-person or different vendors? I'd imagine I could order from just about anywhere online but I could be wrong. 

Thanks again for all the help everyone! 

#7 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Florida

Posted 02 August 2020 - 01:21 PM

Thanks for all the replies everyone! To answer your questions, my budget is about $200 max at the moment unfortunately. I'll eventually save up for a 8" or 10" dobsonian or 8" cassegrain but in the meantime I'm anxious to at least get a glimpse. 

I'd prefer to start with moons/planets in our solar system and then graduate to DSOs eventually. 

Portability helps but I don't mind lugging things around, and storage space isn't an issue. I live in a fairly rural part of the USA so light pollution is easy for me to avoid. 

Malveaux, I don't understand what you mean exactly. When you say where do you mean like online vs in-person or different vendors? I'd imagine I could order from just about anywhere online but I could be wrong. 

Thanks again for all the help everyone! 

Heya,

Yup, budget and where you can buy (not everyone will buy online, and not everyone will buy in person!).

For your budget, I'd look here:

https://www.highpoin...scope-zhus003-1

https://www.adorama....dl-gbase-drones

Or, for a small increase in budget, you can get a tremendous amount of scope (6" F8 newt):

https://www.astronom...ope-s11600.html

Very best,

#8 cookjaiii

cookjaiii

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeast PA

Posted 02 August 2020 - 01:25 PM

If you live in the USA, you could buy a new AWB OneSky.  It is a 130mm f/5 Newtonian.  It does a good job on planets and has enough aperture that you can see many deep sky objects.  It cost $199 shipping included.  It's the telescope I started with and I loved it.  Plus, there is a long thread devoted to it here on Cloudy nights.

https://www.cloudyni...hl= awb onesky

If you have any questions about your new scope, you can post a question and get lots of help within a day, if not hours.

If you live outside the USA, the same telescope is called the Skywatcher Heritage.

Edited by cookjaiii, 02 August 2020 - 04:08 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics