•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter/Moon Conjunction This Evening

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:10 PM

The 97%-illuminated gibbous Moon is about 3 degrees lower right of Jupiter this evening in Europe, and will be about 3 degrees lower left of the Moon in North America. Viewers in Africa and South America will see the same scene with the Moon above Jupiter.  For all observers, Saturn is to the left of the pair, forming a narrow isoceles triangle. Northerners see the trio low in the south, but the even takes place almost overhead in the Southern Hemisphere.

The Moon and Jupiter are this evening's brightest and second-brightest objects, respectively. Saturn, currently around magnitude 0, is roughly tied with Vega and Arcturus for the number-three spot. The trio will be magnificent to the naked eye, and binoculars will show Jupiter and the Moon in the same field of view, as well as showing at least three of Jupiter's moons and countless craters on the Moon. Note the rays spreading out from the bright, young crater Tycho.

These are also the night sky's three most spectacular telescopic targets, so if you have a telescope, take some time to study each one in its own right.

• REC, chrysalis, NYJohn S and 2 others like this

#2 NYJohn S

NYJohn S

Vanguard

• Loc: Northport, NY

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:34 PM

I was viewing them last night and thought they were close. This should really be interesting. Thanks for letting us know.

#3 awong101

awong101

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:28 PM

Here it is, Saturn - Jupiter - Moon more or less aligned. Was out trying to get the last capture of Comet Neowise, but these were a far better show.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0307 small.jpg

• SabiaJD and NYJohn S like this

#4 Xyrus

Xyrus

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:29 PM

The 97%-illuminated gibbous Moon is about 3 degrees lower right of Jupiter this evening in Europe, and will be about 3 degrees lower left of the Moon in North America. Viewers in Africa and South America will see the same scene with the Moon above Jupiter.  For all observers, Saturn is to the left of the pair, forming a narrow isoceles triangle. Northerners see the trio low in the south, but the even takes place almost overhead in the Southern Hemisphere.

The Moon and Jupiter are this evening's brightest and second-brightest objects, respectively. Saturn, currently around magnitude 0, is roughly tied with Vega and Arcturus for the number-three spot. The trio will be magnificent to the naked eye, and binoculars will show Jupiter and the Moon in the same field of view, as well as showing at least three of Jupiter's moons and countless craters on the Moon. Note the rays spreading out from the bright, young crater Tycho.

These are also the night sky's three most spectacular telescopic targets, so if you have a telescope, take some time to study each one in its own right.

You're forgetting Mars. smile.gif

#5 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 02 August 2020 - 03:44 AM

You're forgetting Mars. smile.gif

I never forget Mars. While Saturn, the Moon, and Jupiter are the night sky's three most spectacular targets, Mars is -- arguably -- the night sky's most tantalizing target. I get perhaps a dozen good views of it every two years, but boy are those dozen views amazing.

But even at its best, Mars is still not in the same class as Jupiter and Saturn, to my taste. Though granted, it does gain something important due to the fact that you're looking at real ground much like Earth's rather than clouds (or as well as!) clouds in the upper atmosphere.

#6 chrysalis

chrysalis

ISS

• Loc: North Central NC

Posted 02 August 2020 - 03:46 AM

From 3:39 AM EDT 8-2-20, iPhone capture. Saturn above Moon.

Saturn-Moon-Jupiter 339AM EDT 8-2-20 IMG-1349-sml.JPG

• NYJohn S likes this

#7 NYJohn S

NYJohn S

Vanguard

• Loc: Northport, NY

Posted 02 August 2020 - 08:50 AM

I went out to look at the conjunction last night and some thin clouds were passing through. The cloud iridescence looked so interesting I went back in and got my camera and tripod. Jupiter and Saturn were bright enough to show through the clouds at times. With my 10x50 binoculars I could fit the Moon & Jupiter but had to scan a little to see Saturn. 

Moon, Jupiter & Saturn 0800
Moon, Jupiter & Saturn 0815

• Special Ed, payner, chrysalis and 1 other like this

#8 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 02 August 2020 - 11:28 AM

I love watching the moon thru thin clouds, especially if they're moving fast....I love planet watching with clear skies better, but mostly been getting the moon thru the clouds mostly.  A good lightning storm is nice too.

• REC likes this

#9 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 02 August 2020 - 12:34 PM

Saw them last night, low in the sky. Jupiter was above the moon. Nice view, but clouds where going in and out the area. Not much fun being out in this weather, 82* and 82% humid at 10 pm!

#10 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 02 August 2020 - 12:52 PM

We need the rain in my area but it was unfortunate that it arrived last night.

#11 sbpb28314

sbpb28314

Sputnik

• Loc: Central Coast, CA

Posted 02 August 2020 - 01:23 PM

Thanks Tony, for the reminder. In the block of time and direction of view from which I can see on my patio, I really only have the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn to see right now. Many other fun things are pretty washed out. I'm not an early morning observer so I have to be satisfied with pre-midnight views. Gotta work on my viewing stamina.

I did enjoy pointing out a few things to a friend last night from their patio. It's fun to watch someone else experience that joy of connection between seeing an object and then knowing or discovering which one it is. I'm about ready to buy her a pair of binoculars so she can really get an eyeful!

Cheers and happy viewing all!

#12 chrysalis

chrysalis

ISS

• Loc: North Central NC

Posted 03 August 2020 - 03:15 AM

Well, so here's a next-day version of this event. Stormy night, clouds still hanging around and thunder lightning, even at 3:14 AM EDT on 8-3-20 when I took this picture. Saturn is in a hole in the clouds nearer center.

Moon-Saturn-Jupiter 314AM EDT 8-3-20 IMG_1359.JPG

• NYJohn S likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics