•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Viewing only telescope?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 By-tor

By-tor

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Crystal Coast of NC.

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:27 PM

I'm pretty new to this hobby with my first telescope ever being an 8" Zhumell Dobsonian I purchased a few weeks ago that my wife and I both enjoy using.  I also purchased a Sky-Watcher EQM-35 mount for photography and viewing.  The mounts max payload is only 22 lbs limiting what it will carry.  

Could someone recommend a good scope for viewing my go to mount can swing?

Thank you

#2 Cometeer

Cometeer

Vanguard

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California or Illinois

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:40 PM

Since you plan to use it for AP as well, I recommend a 70-80mm fpl-53 doublet or better. 

• ButterFly and By-tor like this

#3 By-tor

By-tor

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Crystal Coast of NC.

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:13 PM

Since you plan to use it for AP as well, I recommend a 70-80mm fpl-53 doublet or better. 

Are these scopes strong enough to visually see deep sky objects?   

I have been looking at getting a 60-72mm for wide field photography, but going to give my Canon 300mm f4 prime lens a chance first (waiting on tube clamps that I hope will work).

Thank you

#4 ButterFly

ButterFly

Viking 1

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:34 PM

80mms is a good companion for a dob.  Each can do well what the other can't.  An 80mm is good for wide sweeping views.  From a dark site, a lot of details can be seen.  They are limited by aperture, of course.  On the other side, the dob has very good reach, but a very narrow field of view due to its focal length.  The two complement each other well.  An 80mm also makes a good spotter for daytime use.

80mm scopes are also great for AP.  Get one that has a company made flattener available to get the best correction.  You don't need the flattener for visual - your eye can accomodate, the camera can't.  An 80mm is a powerhorse in its own regime just as a dob is in its regime.  Get the best one you can afford and take your time looking around, especially as used.

• By-tor likes this

#5 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 02 August 2020 - 03:28 PM

I'm pretty new to this hobby with my first telescope ever being an 8" Zhumell Dobsonian I purchased a few weeks ago that my wife and I both enjoy using.  I also purchased a Sky-Watcher EQM-35 mount for photography and viewing.  The mounts max payload is only 22 lbs limiting what it will carry.  

Could someone recommend a good scope for viewing my go to mount can swing?

Thank you

The situation here is that any scope that you can mount on the Sky-Watcher EQM-35 probably won't be as good for visual use and the 8" dob.

Now a good complimet to a dob for visual use and maybe some imaging would be a nice 100mm ED telescope.  80mm would be better for imaging on your mount, but for visual, a 100mm ED scope would be a good compliment to the scope you have, though the scope you have will be better for most DSO work. 

So, nothing you can put on the mount is likely to give you better visual result than the dob you already have, but a small ED scope could compliment it by showing things to big to fit into the field of the dob.

Edited by Eddgie, 02 August 2020 - 03:28 PM.

• SteveG and By-tor like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics