•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AC to DC converter for Atlas EQ-G

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 oracle4scott

oracle4scott

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:45 PM

Specifications call for a 12VDC 2.0 Amp supply. I have a 19VDC 3.5amp supply. I know it's safe from an amp standpoint as it'll only draw as much current as it needs, but is there any type of voltage regulation inside the Atlas to prevent too much DC? Do I risk damage to the mount if I provide 19V instead of 12V?

I'm going to order the factory AC to DC adapter, but I'm looking to test out the mount as I just picked it up today!

Thanks in advance.

#2 Bean614

Bean614

Apollo

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:49 PM

Do NOT use the 19V!

#3 oracle4scott

oracle4scott

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:59 PM

Yeah, I was 99.99% sure, thank you for confirming.

#4 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted Yesterday, 03:09 PM

19 VDC is way to high.  At the same time, 2.0 Amp is way too low.  The mount can generally be used up to the voltage of a car battery with is a bit over 13 VDC.  Amperage of 3 to 5 is much better.  You don't need to spend the money on a factory power supply.  A standard 12VDC, 5 Amp AC/DC power supply with a 2.1x5.5 barrel connector will work fine and be a lot less expensive than the factory one.  You can find them all over the place.

#5 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Gemini

• Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted Yesterday, 07:03 PM

If you want to use that power supply with the Atlas, get a $10 buck/boost regulator that you set to 12v. For this type of use, I prefer the one that's enclosed in a metal cage and has push in screw locked connections for the input and output power lines.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics