•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Opinions on my next scope..looking for a triplet

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 plum

plum

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 08:37 PM

I recently sold my Celestron SCT 11”... long story short last summer I picked up a used skywatcher 80ED and loved how easy it was to get quality images using it. I decided to let my 11” go and would like to get a slightly larger triplet refractor to bridge the gap between the 80ED and the huge 11” SCT.

I am really leaning toward the explore scientific 127 triplet, price is on point and everything I read about it is positive..I also had the opportunity to look through one last summer at a star party and was impressed.

For  the price of the 127 would there be any other recommendations for a triplet between 110and 130mm?

#2 ddegroot

ddegroot

Vostok 1

• Loc: Washington, DC

Posted 01 August 2020 - 08:55 PM

The astro-tech 115 and 130 triplets are very well reviewed. 

From my experience with Explore Scientific, the company offers good value but has serious issues with quality control. 

• Heywood, russell23 and plum like this

#3 The Mekon

The Mekon

Vostok 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Bowral NSW Australia

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:21 AM

Sorry to push you down a bit, but the AT106mm (and all it's variants) is a superb scope.   FPL53 when most of the others are using lesser glass.    I have one and it gets the most use of all my scopes.

• Eddgie and plum like this

#4 bobhen

bobhen

Skylab

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:44 AM

I recently sold my Celestron SCT 11”... long story short last summer I picked up a used skywatcher 80ED and loved how easy it was to get quality images using it. I decided to let my 11” go and would like to get a slightly larger triplet refractor to bridge the gap between the 80ED and the huge 11” SCT.

I am really leaning toward the explore scientific 127 triplet, price is on point and everything I read about it is positive..I also had the opportunity to look through one last summer at a star party and was impressed.

For  the price of the 127 would there be any other recommendations for a triplet between 110and 130mm?

The ES 127 weighs around 22 pounds so it is only around 6 pounds lighter than a C11. I think you might find that refractors scale up in weight/bulk quickly, especially triplets.

1. With that said, have you considered a C8. A C8 is only around 13 pounds, is very compact and offers more light-gathering capability than the 127mm refractor. Lots of people like C8s and 80-100mm refractor combinations.

2. For visual observing, the Sky Watcher Evostar 120mm ED doublet refractor weighs 14 pounds and will equal or best the ES 127 in optical quality. The price is about the same. The Evostar is highly praised by users and I would put it at the top of the list for your needs.

3. If you must have a 110 to 130mm triplet refractor, consider the Astro-Tech line from Astronomics. I think the mechanical quality is up a notch or two above ES and they get positive reviews.

Bob

• russell23 and plum like this

#5 plum

plum

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2020 - 09:33 AM

The ES 127 weighs around 22 pounds so it is only around 6 pounds lighter than a C11. I think you might find that refractors scale up in weight/bulk quickly, especially triplets.

1. With that said, have you considered a C8. A C8 is only around 13 pounds, is very compact and offers more light-gathering capability than the 127mm refractor. Lots of people like C8s and 80-100mm refractor combinations.

2. For visual observing, the Sky Watcher Evostar 120mm ED doublet refractor weighs 14 pounds and will equal or best the ES 127 in optical quality. The price is about the same. The Evostar is highly praised by users and I would put it at the top of the list for your needs.

3. If you must have a 110 to 130mm triplet refractor, consider the Astro-Tech line from Astronomics. I think the mechanical quality is up a notch or two above ES and they get positive reviews.

Bob

Thank you all for the reply’s! I have some more reading to do.

i previously owned an 8” SCT before my 11” as well but really appreciate the lower focal length of the refractor which is why I am leaning that way. I am by far no expert and really enjoyed how easy the refractor was to take decent photos. Weight is not as much of an issue and my CGEM mount never complained with the 11” and accessories mounted on it.

I use my scopes for single image DSLR photos and some visual observing.

#6 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 02 August 2020 - 02:48 PM

I would get the CFF 135.  It is more pricey than the mainland imports but it would be top notch all the way around.  

The TEC 140 should not be forgotten but I believe it is more expensive than the CFF 135.

YMMV,

Greg N

• plum likes this

#7 plum

plum

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2020 - 03:26 PM

I would get the CFF 135.  It is more pricey than the mainland imports but it would be top notch all the way around.  

The TEC 140 should not be forgotten but I believe it is more expensive than the CFF 135.

YMMV,

Greg N

Thanks Greg, beautiful telescopes, unfortunately I think they cost more than double what I have to spend.

#8 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 02 August 2020 - 03:54 PM

Unless something has changed, this sounds high to me.  I had a carbon fiber ES 127 and with rings and dovetail, it weighed about 16.5 lbs.

#9 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 02 August 2020 - 04:02 PM

Think about the mount.  Everyone wants a big Apo telescope, but one you get to this range of telescope, the mount requirement starts to become pretty serious.

See, even the ES 127  will be long enough that the tripod legs will need to be fully extended to allow clearance for viewing high in the sky.  When you fully extend the legs on many lower end mid weight mounts, they get shaky. If you are only imaging this might not be as much of an issue because the legs can be kept short). 

If you don't already have mount capable of holding the 127 still, then Ch ching, you are looking at $3000 new.  

And you will only end up having 5" of aperture. 

Now I have owned an ES 127 and they are nice, but if you sold your C11 because of the effort it took to take it out and use it, (and I have owned C11s too) then don't expect it to be any easier with a 127mm triplet. It is a lot of effort for a small aperture

If your mount can handle it though, (and that is a big if) the ES 127 is nice enough I suppose. Just a lot of work to use. 

(I too own a Astro Tech 106 Apo triplet and it is awesome, but that is not much of an aperture increase. Still, there are a lot of mounts that would carry the very short and very fast 106mm easily for imaging, but for the 127, I think you really need good mid grade mount. )

• gnowellsct and plum like this

#10 plum

plum

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2020 - 04:48 PM

Think about the mount.  Everyone wants a big Apo telescope, but one you get to this range of telescope, the mount requirement starts to become pretty serious.

See, even the ES 127  will be long enough that the tripod legs will need to be fully extended to allow clearance for viewing high in the sky.  When you fully extend the legs on many lower end mid weight mounts, they get shaky. If you are only imaging this might not be as much of an issue because the legs can be kept short). 

If you don't already have mount capable of holding the 127 still, then Ch ching, you are looking at $3000 new.  

And you will only end up having 5" of aperture. 

Now I have owned an ES 127 and they are nice, but if you sold your C11 because of the effort it took to take it out and use it, (and I have owned C11s too) then don't expect it to be any easier with a 127mm triplet. It is a lot of effort for a small aperture

If your mount can handle it though, (and that is a big if) the ES 127 is nice enough I suppose. Just a lot of work to use. 

(I too own a Astro Tech 106 Apo triplet and it is awesome, but that is not much of an aperture increase. Still, there are a lot of mounts that would carry the very short and very fast 106mm easily for imaging, but for the 127, I think you really need good mid grade mount. )

I currently have a CGEM mount so no issues there.

I didn’t mind the effort of setting up the C11, it was more the results I was getting from imaging. I am no imaging expert and learning slowly as I go but life (and winter) limit the nights I am able to get outside. I was very pleased with my sky watcher 80ED and the images it produced very easily. I am trying to decide on something a bit bigger than the 80 without the focal length of the C11 which will be used for visual observing as well as solar system and deep space imaging (I know it’s hard to find a master of all).

i have been doing a lot of reading and wondering with my skill level if a quality doublet might also do the trick and keep the price down?

I am also trying to sort what size would be best for everything I would like to do and still offer a short enough focal length that imaging will not be as frustrating for my skill level.

#11 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southeast USA

Posted 02 August 2020 - 04:52 PM

Astro-Tech AT130EDT. It's made a lot better mechanically, and quality control is going to be higher than the mass produced ES 127. I haven't heard a single bad thing about the Astro-Tech 130, but I've heard a few horror stories about ES. So basically, you are getting a consistent better quality product at a lower price, and you get a Cloudy Nights discount if you purchase from Astronomics. Just click on the link at the bottom of the Cloudy Nights website, and it'll take you straight to Astronomics.

Oh I forgot to mention, APM and TS Optics also make some very good quality products for a reasonable price.

https://www.teleskop...php/language/en

Edited by rkelley8493, 02 August 2020 - 04:55 PM.

• plum likes this

#12 bobhen

bobhen

Skylab

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:17 PM

Unless something has changed, this sounds high to me.  I had a carbon fiber ES 127 and with rings and dovetail, it weighed about 16.5 lbs.

OPT has it listed at 22 pounds. Maybe that includes the rings, muonting bar, etc. HERE is a link

Bob

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics