•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Annoying Finderscope

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PlanetNamek

PlanetNamek

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 01 August 2020 - 09:25 PM

I've had a Nexstar 6SE for a while now and my finderscope is starting to really irritate me. I guess I didn't really notice it at first but the laser sight is more of a blob than a real "dot" is there any way to fix this without simply just buying a new finderscope? I don't know if it's just the laser or the mirror. Anyone agree with this notion?

Thank you

#2 Terrybythe sea

Terrybythe sea

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Gaspe Peninsula

Posted Yesterday, 02:05 PM

From what I've read here, many people hate that red dot finder and replace it with something better. Do a google search that includes 'cloudy nights' and whatever other key words and you'll come up with all kinds of discussions.

#3 MarionStar

MarionStar

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Marion, Ohio

Posted Yesterday, 10:54 PM

I didn't care for the red laser dot finder either. I replaced it with Celestron's finder scope... description is...

Celestron Illuminated RACI Finder Scope, Black (93781)

This is not cheap, but a huge step up from the red dot finder. It is a bit fussy to get aligned, but once done it is awesome. I'm glad I invested the money. The right angle diagonal makes it easier to use on higher objects closer to the zenith than trying to break your neck getting your face down under the scope to use the red dot finder.

Perhaps others can comment as well.

Brad

#4 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted Today, 12:35 AM

The best finder scope I have used has been the Telrad.  Simple, effective, light weight.

• king1522 likes this

#5 MickTaurus

MickTaurus

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted Today, 07:54 AM

The best finder scope I have used has been the Telrad.  Simple, effective, light weight.

I agree Greg, I binned the red dot craplastic, and purchased a Telrad for my 8Se which I find brilliant.

But maybe to big for a 6se 5 or 4, then a Rigel Systems QuikFinder would be better choice.

https://agenaastro.c...quikfinder.html

• king1522 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics