•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

getting a Forbes modified iOptron AltAz working again

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 WSMIKE

WSMIKE

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 10:38 PM

Hi

My Steve Forbes Modified iOptron AltAz motors are responding. trying to troubleshoot.

One: anybody have a wiring diagram that I may have a photo copy of?

Symptoms:

Turned on : HC comes on with current date, it says GPS "on" so far doesn't resolve and say "ok".

When i try to select and slew, it responds with date and time info. no motor whir and no movement.

power source is the AC/DC converter 12V.

Anything I should look for?

What would you do?

Cheers

Mike

#2 WSMIKE

WSMIKE

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 11:57 PM

By the way I only mention Steve Forbes name for those whom would recognize that this mount is about 10 years old.  So I don't know how many times it was upgraded since 2009/2010, but if anyone has the a troubleshoot guide or circuit layout for this old mount, that would help me know where to check voltages and the such.

Cheers

#3 biz

biz

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: New Zealand

Posted Yesterday, 12:40 AM

Hi

My Steve Forbes Modified iOptron AltAz motors are responding. trying to troubleshoot.

One: anybody have a wiring diagram that I may have a photo copy of?

Symptoms:

Turned on : HC comes on with current date, it says GPS "on" so far doesn't resolve and say "ok".

When i try to select and slew, it responds with date and time info. no motor whir and no movement.

power source is the AC/DC converter 12V.

Anything I should look for?

What would you do?

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

First thing to do is to check the hand controller button cell battery.. if that’s down on voltage all sorts of odd things can happen to this mount so get the easy part sorted first... it’s a CR1220. 3volt. Also make sure you are getting 12volts DC on the output of your AC/DC supply .. This needs to be good too. What I’m saying here is that all DC voltages need to be correct to proceed.

Change the button cell battery over and fire up again and if the problems repeat then we have to go further. I’m aware of Steve’s mods as he did the northern hemisphere and I took care of the southern with my version of mods.

cheers

Graham

Edited by biz, Yesterday, 01:55 AM.

• Andrew Brown likes this

#4 WSMIKE

WSMIKE

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 01:14 AM

great place to start.

Thanks

#5 biz

biz

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted Yesterday, 01:56 AM

great place to start.

Thanks

No worries, your welcome Mike.

Graham

#6 WSMIKE

WSMIKE

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 04:30 PM

Well update

Battery update : more functionality : now the motors activate, there wasn't even motor sounds before.  Unfortunately, it engaged the gears for just a moment. then it the motor would turn but nothing Alt Az movement.  Do you have a specific approach to adjust the gears?  

Cheers

Mike

#7 biz

biz

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted Yesterday, 04:52 PM

Well update

Battery update : more functionality : now the motors activate, there wasn't even motor sounds before.  Unfortunately, it engaged the gears for just a moment. then it the motor would turn but nothing Alt Az movement.  Do you have a specific approach to adjust the gears?  

Cheers

Mike

Mike, are you saying both motors are not turning the mount... have you set the motor speed at 9 on the controller and are the clutches engaged?

cheers

Graham

Edited by biz, Yesterday, 04:57 PM.

#8 WSMIKE

WSMIKE

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 05:39 PM

both directions turned for about 2 seconds then never for either.  I did reset mount to 8 or 512x. i'll check on the clutches

#9 WSMIKE

WSMIKE

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 05:58 PM

So, I now see that the Altitude gears work.  I don't know how to open the azimuth base to see what's going on there. do I just unscrew the screws to the base?  What should I see.

Mike

#10 biz

biz

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted Yesterday, 07:22 PM

So, I now see that the Altitude gears work.  I don't know how to open the azimuth base to see what's going on there. do I just unscrew the screws to the base?  What should I see.

Mike

Mike , if you send me a PM with your email I will send you some PDF’s etc I have made up .

These will guide you with all this.

cheers

Graham

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics