•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I am stoked

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Xtatic

Xtatic

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ks/Co border on Kansas side

Posted 01 August 2020 - 10:57 PM

I took my little BSA spotting scope outside and viewed Jupiter and 4 moons, and found Saturn and saw those famous rings for the first time with my own eyes.  It was really cool.  I used the 20x to find things then zoomed in to 60.  

On Saturn I could even see those red bands but no other detail as it was small in the view.  The moon was really bright also, and had a look at it.  Man it was cool to see the craters or mountains whatever jutting out and actually seeing that it is not a smooth ball.  

Ha ha I'm going to be up until 3 am looking at telescopes now.  I can't go to bed, I'm too excited.  

• physik, Hypoxic, havasman and 11 others like this

#2 KTAZ

KTAZ

Viking 1

• Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 01 August 2020 - 11:06 PM

Welcome to the addiction we call Astronomy!

#3 gravy11

gravy11

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NJ (USA)

Posted 01 August 2020 - 11:06 PM

I love those nights where you're so amped, you can't sleep. I was able to see the GRS for the first time this past week. I was up most of that night. Even woke my wife. 😃

Enjoy the rush!

Dan
  • Chris Y and jiblet65 like this

#4 Codbear

Codbear

Viking 1

• Loc: Novato, CA

Posted 01 August 2020 - 11:15 PM

I still vividly recall my first look at Saturn in a little Tasco refractor when I was 9 years old. 

My scopes are a lot bigger 52 years later, but the thrill is the same every time I look up!

• Chris Y, jiblet65 and gravy11 like this

#5 Jethro7

Jethro7

Viking 1

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 01 August 2020 - 11:59 PM

Oh,Oh, LOL...Xtatic 

Welcome to the Obsession, This is how it begins, that is how it happened to me. I started off very innocent and Naive then with just a pair of binoculars I walked out side one night and looked up and for some reason mounts, telescopes and Astro toys began showing up at my door. I'm not too sure how that is happening  but it still has not stopped. I began staying up all hours of the night sleeping during the day. Buying books, watching videos, joining Astronomy Support groups. 

Dobsonian.gif    sct.png Dobsonian.gif Telescope.gif whee.gif Dobsonian.gif sct.png Telescope.gif Dobsonian.gif

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

P.S. My only saving grace is I dont support my Astro Addiction with credit.

Save up and buy a piece at a time.

Edited by Jethro7, 02 August 2020 - 09:00 AM.

• tjbitt, jiblet65 and gravy11 like this

#6 physik

physik

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: San Antonio, Texas

Posted 02 August 2020 - 12:06 AM

Welcome to the rush! It's such a great feeling! Have fun browsing telescopes, but leave the credit cards alone for the night! :)

• jiblet65 likes this

#7 Tangerman

Tangerman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Atlanta, Georgia

Posted 02 August 2020 - 12:21 AM

I dreamed about different telescopes long before purchasing mine. Of course, I still dream about my ideal telescope, which I won't be able to afford for a number of years. 

• jiblet65 likes this

#8 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 02 August 2020 - 01:03 AM

That’s what makes it a dream telescope. If it was affordable you would already have it and not have to dream about it.

Honestly I think William/Bill had the right idea. Write a stargazing book and pay for it all with royalties. My words, not his, but seems pretty smart.

Scott
  • Jethro7 and jiblet65 like this

#9 jiblet65

jiblet65

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: la Florida

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:47 AM

I took my little BSA spotting scope outside and viewed Jupiter and 4 moons, and found Saturn and saw those famous rings for the first time with my own eyes.  It was really cool.  I used the 20x to find things then zoomed in to 60.  

On Saturn I could even see those red bands but no other detail as it was small in the view.  The moon was really bright also, and had a look at it.  Man it was cool to see the craters or mountains whatever jutting out and actually seeing that it is not a smooth ball.  

Ha ha I'm going to be up until 3 am looking at telescopes now.  I can't go to bed, I'm too excited.  

Don't forget to check out Mars as its opposition is October 13th. At that time it will be rising and setting in the east so should be good viewing. You should be able to see the crescent on Venus and you might be able to see Mercury right now early in the morning to the east.

#10 MOwen

MOwen

Vostok 1

• ***--
  • Loc: Greenville, SC

Posted 02 August 2020 - 08:00 AM

Don't forget to check out Mars as its opposition is October 13th. At that time it will be rising and setting in the east so should be good viewing. You should be able to see the crescent on Venus and you might be able to see Mercury right now early in the morning to the east.

You might need to clarify for us what you mean by 'rising and setting in the east'. 

Here is the track on October 13th as described by NASA..

During opposition, Mars and the sun are on directly opposite sides of Earth. From our perspective on our spinning world, Mars rises in the east just as the sun sets in the west. Then, after staying up in the sky the entire night, Mars sets in the west just as the sun rises in the east.

• jiblet65 likes this

#11 jiblet65

jiblet65

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: la Florida

Posted 02 August 2020 - 02:44 PM

MOwen you are right. I did check a simulation but must've missed the compass changing to west. Thanks for the correction.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics