•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Choosing binoculars

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rassati

Rassati

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 12:00 AM

Hello!

I have been searching for binoculars for the last 2 weeks. I tried to get help from another forum, but it has been 2 weeks since I posted my question, but 0 answer. I hope someone can help me out over here.

I'm a beginner in birdwatching and I want to buy reasonable binoculars for something around 100 euros. I selected these models so far:

Celestron 8x42 Outland (https://www.bhphotov..._Binocular.html)

The exit pupil of just 5,3mm, but it is nitrogen filled, WP, with a slight better angle and field of view and lighter once it's made with roof prism. I read that roof prisms are more expensive, so seeing such binoculars with roof prism, nitrogen filling and multi-coated lenses makes me suspicious about the quality it actually delivers. It was also the cheapest in the local shops.

Nikon Aculon A211 7x50
(https://www.bhphotov...culon_a211.html)

I believe the minimum focus distance to be wrong, some websites say it is 4.

Nikon action vii CF 7x50 (model BAA652AA)
(https://www.amazon.c...F/dp/B000K6H9QM)

Seemingly of a better category (action) than the Aculon 211. I found old announcements selling them for 200 euros, what could potentially mean that they have superior optics. There also good reviews about them and, after all, they are Nikon. Nonetheless, I found few websites with info about it.

Is there any major difference between them that I should have in mind before purchasing or not?

I'll be very grateful to whoever help me with it.

Thank you!
  • Cali likes this

#2 Cali

Cali

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bay Area

Posted Yesterday, 12:07 AM

I like lower power for bird watching. You want a large Field Of View. Too much magnification will mean you won't be able to steady your hand when viewing a bird. 

I use these. I'm sure others will chime in soon.

This manufacturer also makes roof prism binoculars which are fine for birding and are lighter weight but may be outside of your price range.

Goof Luck!

- Cal 

Edited by Cali, Yesterday, 01:41 AM.

#3 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted Yesterday, 01:41 AM

There are lots and I suggest 8x42's for all round use.

I have Bushnell Natureviews, roof prism.

I would not get bothered about the gas fill, unless the binoculars are hermetically sealed the gasses will get in and out so I suggest it is a bit of a gimmick.

They likely do fill with N2, it is dry and cheap. So they in effect just flush the insides with N2 then write something claiming strange advantages about N2 fill. The atmosphere is 78% N2 also.

Unsure of Porro and Roof. Both my present ones are Roof and both seem better the the previous Porro's. Porros need big prisms and cost are reduced by dropping in a smaller/undersized one and Porros are easy to adjust but I suspect also easy to go out of misalignment therefore also. The principal being "You adjust them easily by the screw on the side".

Nikons should be good, but there are several hundred alternatives. There is a big birdwatch show here and they have a large marquee with 20-25 binocular manufacturers in attendance and often another 10 spread around other marquees.

I tend to ignore the blurb on N2 Filled, BaK4 prisms and several other often aspects. Recall asking what advantage is BaK4 over BK7 glass as BK7 is an industory standard - I was met with silence. My opinion is if they are stood there saying things they need to know why, and that one didn't.

#4 DeanD

DeanD

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted Yesterday, 02:51 AM

In general at the entry price level porro prism binoculars are probably better than roof prisms for the same price. This is because they are easier to manufacture to a reasonable standard. If you have a budget of 100 Euros, then there are a number of porro prism binos that will do the job nicely. I agree with the above that around 8x40 are a good size for a birding binocular: they are relatively light and easy to hold, while giving a nice magnification.

The Nikon Aculon 8x42 (https://www.nikon.co...culon-a211-8x42 ) should be good for your purpose. Nikon Action seem to be harder to get at the moment: they may be phasing them out; but they are more expensive than the Aculon models mainly because they are a bit more rugged and waterproof for outdoor use. 

Pentax SP 8x40 are probably a bit more expensive than the Aculons, but very nice for the price.

I think your best bet is to drop into a binocular shop and try a few types to see what feels best for you. At that price point you can't really go wrong with brands like Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, etc.

All the best,

Dean

#5 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted Yesterday, 03:02 AM

Recall asking what advantage is BaK4 over BK7 glass as BK7 is an industory standard - I was met with silence. My opinion is if they are stood there saying things they need to know why, and that one didn't.

At the typical f/3.3 or so in binoculars, BK7 Porro prisms can't achieve total internal reflection. 

• DeanD likes this

#6 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted Yesterday, 03:13 AM

Welcome Rassati,

Around the 100 Euro price range, to satisfy your stated requirements, I think you could do far worse than try a Nikon Action Extreme 7x35 Porro.

Kenny

• Jon Isaacs and Grimnir like this

#7 DeanD

DeanD

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted Yesterday, 07:08 AM

At the typical f/3.3 or so in binoculars, BK7 Porro prisms can't achieve total internal reflection. 

You can tell by holding them away from you and looking into the eyepieces. If they are BK7, then you will see squared off edges around the bright centre exit pupil. Most older models (even top quality ones) will show this, while newer models with BAK4 prisms have a circular exit pupil. Some of the "name brand" entry level binos, like the Olympus DPSI, still use BK7.

#8 Antonio R.G

Antonio R.G

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted Today, 04:18 AM

Agree with KennyJ. Action EX 7x35 is almost perfect if you want it for all use or unique binocular. You'll be surprised for sharp image and clarity in the center, and large field of view is ok for birdwatching. It has long eye relief, is waterproof and fogproff. Nikon Action EX 7x50 (and Aculon) are really bright and very sharp, include edges, but 6'4° field of view only.. could to be a problem for you (or not). Try if you can, is better try yourself, no all people think same about every binocular, sensations when you are using it is important too.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics