•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Got a new Oberwerk 11 x 70!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SStoffer

SStoffer

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Grand Rapids, Michigan

Posted Yesterday, 12:14 AM

Been looking for a pair of astronomical binoculars with enough eye relief so I did not have to shove my eyes into the eyepieces. Since I have to wear glasses for astigmatism this is a big

concern. After much research, I choose the Oberwerk 11 x 70 lw. It has a listed eye relief of 23mm

It took a while to find a suitable pair of binoculars, and I realize that price is not always a main factor. Many more expensive astronomical binoculars

have a less than desirable eye relief. I find this puzzling. For example, the standard Skymaster 20 x 80 binoculars has an eye relief of 18mm, but the Skymaster Pro eye relief is 15.5. 

Why is this so? I would be curious what others on this forum think about this

Meanwhile, I love the Oberwerk 11x70 lw, it seems to be quality made for something so relatively inexpensive. 

Cheers; Stephen

Edited by SStoffer, Yesterday, 12:39 AM.

• jiblet65 likes this

#2 SStoffer

SStoffer

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 01:31 AM

Oh, just got to add that the chromatic aberration on these is minimal. Just a small amount around the limb of the moon. The color of stars on these Oberwerk 11x70 are accurate and fantastic! 

Edited by SStoffer, Yesterday, 01:32 AM.

• jeremiah2229 and jiblet65 like this

#3 clusterbuster

clusterbuster

Viking 1

• Loc: Tampa Bay, Fl.

Posted Yesterday, 02:01 AM

Enjoy !!!

Mark

#4 jiblet65

jiblet65

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: la Florida

Posted Yesterday, 07:14 AM

Awesome I love my 10x42 Sport ED's. I got to view NEOWISE through them and it was incredible. The Pleiades look nice too. They arrived on the day of the full Moon in April and my wife and I were blown away by the view. Enjoy yours!

• Lofapco likes this

#5 jcj380

jcj380

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hellinois

Posted Yesterday, 09:17 AM

Glad you like them.  Been thinking about 15x70 LWs or the Deluxes if I can appropriate the extra dinero. 

Any particular reason why you went with the 11x?

#6 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted Yesterday, 09:39 AM

I thought "the particular reason" for going with the 11x70 was explained clearly enough.

It was the only one with adequate eye-relief!

#7 Lofapco

Lofapco

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Fountain Hills, AZ

Posted Yesterday, 04:22 PM

Glad you like them. Oberwerk has great stuff! I love my 10 x 42 Sport ED and my huge 25x/45x 100mm Oberwerk binos. Kevin is easy to get in touch with and will give you great advice if asking about what would work best for your use. Great company that I hope continues to grow. My friends recently asked to borrow my Sport ED's for their Alaska vacation they are on right now after I brought them to their house in Scottsdale to look at the Mountains and city view. 

• jiblet65 likes this

#8 JJack

JJack

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Midwest

Posted Yesterday, 08:03 PM

I love my 15x70 Oberwerks.   

Looking to add something a little lighter in the x by 50 range with a 4.0-4.5 eye pupil

#9 SStoffer

SStoffer

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 11:12 PM

Glad you like them.  Been thinking about 15x70 LWs or the Deluxes if I can appropriate the extra dinero. 

Any particular reason why you went with the 11x?

The 23mm eye relief primarily, and the 11X magnification is easier to handhold. These are built really good, and I also have of a pair of Skymaster 15X70 and the lens coatings are not quite as nice as these Oberwerks. I did however, get a nice view of Comet Neowise in the Skymasters. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics