•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Noob - Astro Fi 5 and STARSENSE compatibility query

Celestron
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ogriff79

Ogriff79

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 02:07 AM

Hi all,

First time posting here, apologies if covered elsewhere but no direct hits from searching....

I have a new Celestron Astro Fi 5, (some great tips on this forum about updating firmware, which might solve a few intermittent connectivity issues) my question is has anyone successfully used StarSense with this particular scope?

My understanding from Google and Celestron's YouTube videos is attach the StarSense (replacing the finder scope) and connect via aux port.

My query... 

1. Is anyone using StarSense with Astro Fi 5?

- celestron website lists Astro Fi Series as compatible, but clicking on Astro Fi in the compatibility list doesn't show my scope, other Astro Fi scopes are shown. 

2. Assuming it is compatible, youtube video doesn't mention using the handset, looks like you simply connect via WiFi and use the sky portal app, is this correct?

- nice explanation on how to calibrate, but is there more to it?

3. Would anyone recommend my purchasing a pre owned / used / second hand StarSense? 

- if so, any reputable websites / dealers etc come to mind? Or is it safer to pay full price? 

4. (now I'm just being greedy) any advice for improved magnification? Anyone using a barlow with Astro Fi 5

- very little light pollution in Oxfordshire countryside, am I bonkers considering a 5x barlow from amazon?

Thanks in advance. 

Owen 

#2 Ogriff79

Ogriff79

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 12:24 PM

Response from tech support... 

"Thanks for contacting Celestron Technical Support.

The Astro Fi 5 is sold as an exclusive through Celestron's UK and European distributors and not in the USA, but it is fully compatible with the StarSense like the other Astro Fi models. You may need to go to a hardware store for screws to mount the camera, as the screws that come with the Astro Fi 5 may not be the correct length for a 5" SCT.

I hope that helps."

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics