•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Fireworks Galaxy ASI6200 & C14 edge at F7.7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 04:40 AM

The Fireworks Galaxy, NGC 6946, is an interesting target as it has spurned many super novae in the last century- more than average.

The Galaxy is a faint target from my location and is obscured in the dust of our Milky way Galaxy-so at least for me from my Bortle 9 skies it presents itself as always looking a bit muted.

The image below is 180 10 second subs in each LRGB channel using Baader 50x50 mm filters. 3x3 bin with a gain of 0 off set 50.

Let me know what you think of the image

Best wishes- Mark- Stay safe!

FIREWORKS_WEB.jpg

• lambermo, PeteM, WarmWeatherGuy and 8 others like this

#2 Paul Garais

Paul Garais

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Sendenhorst, Germany

Posted Yesterday, 06:29 AM

You got a lot out of the very short integration time. Love the colorful stars.

The only thing left to say: Get more subs

#3 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 06:41 AM

You got a lot out of the very short integration time. Love the colorful stars.

The only thing left to say: Get more subs

I would like more subs- I'm waiting for the longer nights- with 10 second subs and the wait between dithering of 5 seconds and the filter change I get 170 subs per hour. The imaging window is only currently 5 hours but when autumn comes and we are back into many more hours I think that is when the images should be better but for now its multiple nights if I want more subs to integrate.

• Paul Garais likes this

#4 Paul Garais

Paul Garais

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Sendenhorst, Germany

Posted Yesterday, 06:55 AM

I am also in "waiting mode". I am at 51.84° N. Currently at 3 hours astronomical darkness per night, but increasing quickly.

But that is some serious amount of subs you have to stack, if you image through a winter night. Bortle 9 is no fun, it seems.

#5 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 07:54 AM

I am also in "waiting mode". I am at 51.84° N. Currently at 3 hours astronomical darkness per night, but increasing quickly.

But that is some serious amount of subs you have to stack, if you image through a winter night. Bortle 9 is no fun, it seems.

I know the feeling- I'm at 52 North so not a lot of dark hours yet.

I built a very powerful computer to handle all that processing. It only takes an hour to process 600 subs so even if I went into the thousands its only 2-3 hours at most. 

Bortle 9 is no fun but we just have to make the best of what we have.

• Paul Garais likes this

#6 lambermo

lambermo

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: .nl

Posted Today, 07:32 AM

I think you have captured a lot of signal with only 2 hours of exposure time. It looks good !

When I compare it with my setup :

# compare-telescopes.py --s1 custom1 --c1 asi1600 --s2 c14 --c2 asi6200 --r2 0.77 --c2b 3
# file /home/hans/src/compare-telescopes/telescopes-and-cameras.json
# Telescope 1 f/11.69 l=2970mm D=254mm O=37% res=0.26"/p FOV=20'x15'= 0.23x eoi= 0.43x poi= 0.21x e= 0.11x pe= 0.05x ps= 0.03x os= 0.32x
# Telescope 2 f/7.70  l=2738mm D=356mm O=32% res=0.85"/p FOV=45'x30'= 4.30x eoi= 2.31x poi= 4.70x e= 8.76x pe=21.13x ps=32.05x os= 3.09x

Yours is 4.3x 'faster' for extended object irradiance and 3.09x faster for object signal. So I should compare it with 8.6 hours with my setup if I look at eoi, or 6 hours for os. Seems plausible.

What reducer do you use ?

What is the bin3 sub file size ?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics