•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to use SharpCap Pro with planets or the moon?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Picheta

Picheta

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:35 AM

Hi again, everybody!! Thanks to your tips I was able to perform live stacking with SharpCap Pro on deep sky objects. However, I still have not been able to achieve this with planets. In fact, I did try it last night with the TS 60 tube (360mm and 60mm aperture) and a 2x barlow lens. I tried this with Jupiter and Saturn yesterday but I couldn't see a clear image (I saw an image as out of focus, I couldn't see well on the screen). Also I tried to test live stacking and I got ignored frames. Should we do live stacking with planets or just "quick capture"? I don't know if I didn't see the sharp image because my tube magnification has little scope for planets, or because I didn't set the proper gain and exposure, or because I set something wrong. Tonight I will try this with the Celestron 8 SE tube, maybe I am luckier because the increase and diameter is greater. How can I capture images of planets and / or the Moon with SharCap Pro? Thanks for your advice !!

#2 GoldSpider

GoldSpider

Apollo

• Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 02 August 2020 - 07:15 AM

Hi again, everybody!! Thanks to your tips I was able to perform live stacking with SharpCap Pro on deep sky objects. However, I still have not been able to achieve this with planets. In fact, I did try it last night with the TS 60 tube (360mm and 60mm aperture) and a 2x barlow lens. I tried this with Jupiter and Saturn yesterday but I couldn't see a clear image (I saw an image as out of focus, I couldn't see well on the screen). Also I tried to test live stacking and I got ignored frames. Should we do live stacking with planets or just "quick capture"? I don't know if I didn't see the sharp image because my tube magnification has little scope for planets, or because I didn't set the proper gain and exposure, or because I set something wrong. Tonight I will try this with the Celestron 8 SE tube, maybe I am luckier because the increase and diameter is greater. How can I capture images of planets and / or the Moon with SharCap Pro? Thanks for your advice !!

Live-stacking does not work on planets, period.  What you want to do is shoot video, recording as many frames as you can at as high a frame rate as possible.  You do this two ways: 1) setting region-of-interest using the resolution settings so you are only capturing the planet, and 2) setting your exposure time as short/fast as you can and using medium/high gain to compensate.

On Jupiter you can typically only take 2-minute long videos before the planet's fast rotation blurs/smears your final image stack.  Other planets you can record much longer.

When you have your video, use a program like AutoStakkert 3 to create your stack and RegiStax for wavelet sharpening.

https://skyandtelesc.../lucky-imaging/

#3 Picheta

Picheta

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 August 2020 - 09:36 AM

Thanks GoldSpider !!! I will follow your advice when the sky is clear, because every day is cloudy !!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics