•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need help with 1 2 3 star alignment

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hax

Hax

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: PEI Canada

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:43 AM

I am using the exos2-gt mount, and before I go any further I feel like I should mention that I am visual lol.. Anyways, I am one amongst many who is having difficulty aligning the mount the first time around to have a good night. I'll explain everything I did yesterday. 

I took the the mount out and set it up( entered time and date and coordinates) It wasn't 100% level, and it was slewing the complete wrong way at first. Once I realized this I levelled the tripod and found Polaris through the polar scope. After it was level the scope started slewing in the right direction but was still WAY off target. I do realize that we use the arrow buttons to fine tune the alignment, but the mount couldn't even reach half the stars used for alignment let alone slew correctly to them, and on top of that, once it would slew to "the general direction" when I hit the arrow keys, nothing would happen at all, the scope wouldn't move.

And that was basically my first night with the mount. I am aware this is a cheapy cheap mount, and it will have a few issued likely, but it would be nice if I could at least figure out the alignments for the goto. Can anyone explaine the whole process start to finish, and if anyone uses this mount can they explain what I am doing wrong?

PS when entering time, date, and cooordinates, it asks me for my "zone"... I'm not sure what this means, so I entered my "plant hardiness gardening zone".. Might that be my issue? How can I find out my zone for astronomy? 

#2 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:50 AM

Yep, your plant hardness zone is the problem.

Must remember this one, sorry sat here giggling.

Back soon off to find the zone you need - I assume Prince Edward Island.

OK, you should it seems be Atlantic Time, which has me confused. It says UTC -3 and I would have expected UTC -4.

From the sort of general mess it seems they are giving both UTC difference with and without DST applied and calling both the same.

Suggest you use UTC -4

Then at the Date and Time input you say Yes to DST.

Not sure if the entry is as "UTC -4" or simply "-4".

From what you have said it is "-4".

What other data have you entered?

Assuming the mount is a derivative of a Meade - they look like it:

Latitude = 46  40 N, or just, +46  40

Longitude = 64  15 W, or, 064  15 W, or, -064 15.

Timezone = UTC -4

Name for location PEI.

I would expect Lat = 46  40 N, and that Long = 064  15 W.

BUT READ IT FIRST AND ASSUME NOTHING.

Longitude can go to 3 digits in degrees and some require the leading 0's.

And find the Reset option and clear the old stuff out, it is safer.

Your exact Longitude may be a little different but the above should be OK..

Edited by sg6, 02 August 2020 - 07:14 AM.

#3 Hax

Hax

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2020 - 02:13 PM

Thank you for that information, I did enter my coordinates, and I believe my zone is 6A, and I did account for DST, I’ll double check all the info when I go out again tonight, and we are -4UTC I don’t know why so many places say we are -3 because we aren’t lol. Anyways, if the problem is a miscalculation in the zone or cords (likely the zone) I’ll double check everything again tonight and see if it is any better. Thanks again!

#4 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 02 August 2020 - 02:57 PM

Leveling the mount has very little effect and certainly should not reverse the direction of the slewing.

#5 Hax

Hax

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2020 - 07:12 PM

Leveling the mount has very little effect and certainly should not reverse the direction of the slewing.

Yeah I really don't know what's up with that.. Like I said it was totally backwards, and after I levelled it it was in the right direction at least, but not anywhere near target :s

#6 JedF

JedF

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 03 August 2020 - 11:37 AM

Hello,

PEI - Atlantic Time Zone is UTC -3 during Daylight Savings Time, -4 during Standard Time, not sure what “Zone 6A” is, per a previous post, but that doesn’t sound like a helpful number smile.gif

Is this an older model or the new version of the mount? What are you using to drive the mount?  

Edited by JedF, 03 August 2020 - 11:39 AM.

#7 Hax

Hax

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 07:57 PM

It's the older version of the mount, for the zone, it's either E or W with a 2 digit number slot.. I tried both w03 and w04 as I'm -4UTC, but still had problems lol. As for what I'm using to drive the mount, it's just a standard exos 2gt, older model lol, I got it cheap cheap cuz I just wanted something to help me learn the sky and how to track but proving to be a bad choice methinks lol

#8 JedF

JedF

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:37 PM

Sorry, don’t know that old handset, so can’t help specifically.
Sg6 put you on the right path if you can find input fields that come close.  
You said you’d gotten it to point in the right direction but still “way off” - getting the time (zone) off by an hour will have you “in the right direction” but about 15 degrees off on RA. 
As above, you’ve got to figure out how to tell it you’re at UTC -4  AND that it’s Daylight Savings Time OR you’ll need to input UTC -3 if there’s no way to input DST.   You could test both options pretty quickly. 
The good news is you’ll know exactly which plants will thrive in your garden...

• Hax likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics