•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Takahashi FC100N and Pentax 105SD comparison

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Marcus Roman

Marcus Roman

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:45 AM

Hello to everyone, these are vintage top class apo refractors, of the 1990s, and while I have the Pentax one which I am very in love with, I would like to have opinions on the differences with Taka FC100N.

I read several times Dark Star’s website which seems to be the only one who compared the two and reported his impressions extensively, I also had the opportunity to watch in a FC100N (during a bad seeing night, though), still I’d much appreciate any additional feedback coming from this community of amateur astronomers!...:-)

Thanks!!,

Marcus

Edited by Marcus Roman, 02 August 2020 - 06:46 AM.

#2 Fomalhaut

Fomalhaut

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 02 August 2020 - 09:47 AM

In the 1990ies, the Swiss Pentax telescope supplier resided in my town, and so I had been able to directly compare the Pentax 105-SD with that times' Vixen-Fl-102s and Tak-FC-100 as well.

My recollections of those past times are not really detailed anymore, but what I am still able to say is that while the Pentax-105 was quite respectful in comparison with old achromats of similar specifications, it could not really achieve the same level of spherical and chromatic correction (=> low contrast detail) as both of the mentioned Fluorite-doublets, which OTOH amongst themselves were very close to each other.

Edited by Fomalhaut, 02 August 2020 - 09:48 AM.

• mikeDnight and Marcus Roman like this

#3 Marcus Roman

Marcus Roman

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 02 August 2020 - 11:32 AM

In the 1990ies, the Swiss Pentax telescope supplier resided in my town, and so I had been able to directly compare the Pentax 105-SD with that times' Vixen-Fl-102s and Tak-FC-100 as well.

My recollections of those past times are not really detailed anymore, but what I am still able to say is that while the Pentax-105 was quite respectful in comparison with old achromats of similar specifications, it could not really achieve the same level of spherical and chromatic correction (=> low contrast detail) as both of the mentioned Fluorite-doublets, which OTOH amongst themselves were very close to each other.

Thank you! Actually the Pentax 105SD is an apochromat f9,5....it was more expensive than the Vixen Fl102, Taka FC100N and the same Nikon 100ED, so what you say is very interesting.

Generally, my Pentax 105SD f9,5 is superior to my Taka FS102.

I am kind of looking to extend collection to the Taka FC100N, I would like to buy it...this is why I am interested....thank you!

Marcus

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics