•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mirror diagonal in a slow refractor?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Blueox4

Blueox4

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Upstate New York

Posted Yesterday, 07:33 AM

I have a AP Maxbright mirror diagonal and I’m going to try it in one of my slower, f/9 refractors as soon as we get a nice night but I’ve always used prism diagonals in them prior. The Baader Zeiss prism 2” diagonal and the APM prism diagonal are two that I have. Is there a reason that we use mirror diagonals mostly in faster telescopes and prism diagonals mostly in slower telescopes? 

#2 Couder

Couder

Mariner 2

• Loc: Missouri Ozarks

Posted Yesterday, 08:36 AM

I have F15 and F16 refractors and use both kinds on them. 

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#3 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted Yesterday, 01:09 PM

I have a AP Maxbright mirror diagonal and I’m going to try it in one of my slower, f/9 refractors as soon as we get a nice night but I’ve always used prism diagonals in them prior. The Baader Zeiss prism 2” diagonal and the APM prism diagonal are two that I have. Is there a reason that we use mirror diagonals mostly in faster telescopes and prism diagonals mostly in slower telescopes? 

You can use any of them you like.  There is no reason why you would not want to use a diagonal you already have, mirror or prism, in an f/9 telescope.  

• Jon Isaacs, Blueox4 and PatrickVt like this

#4 KBHornblower

KBHornblower

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Falls Church, VA (Washington DC suburb)

Posted Yesterday, 01:54 PM

A prism can introduce some chromatic aberration in "fast" (low f ratio) scope, which a mirror diagonal prevents.  In a slower scope the CA pretty much goes away, and a good prism may be a bit brighter, depending on the coatings.  With modern coatings on mirrors there may be little or no difference.

• Blueox4 likes this

#5 Scott99

Scott99

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: New England

Posted Yesterday, 03:25 PM

The 4-inch light path through the glass of a 2" prism diagonal introduces some aberrations that are minimized at longer focal ratio - there's also 1% light loss per inch of glass, so 4% total, that's why the mirror diagonal was named "Maxbright" for 99% transmission.  

I like prism diagonals however and I"m currently testing out the high-end Baader T2 amici diagonal.  I like the way prisms seal the tube and keep dirt out better than mirror IME.  The smaller Baader T2 diagonals and the Tak 1.25" prism have shorter light path than the big 2-inchers.

Edited by Scott99, Yesterday, 03:45 PM.

• Blueox4 likes this

#6 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted Yesterday, 04:07 PM

I wonder, not for the first time either, if a sort of "reverse newtonian" would be a good idea for a refractor.  Instead of sticking a 90º diagonal in a traditional refractor focuser why not have a Newtonian-style diagonal and then a newtonian-style focuser outside the tube...  

In use the telescope would look very much like the 'backwards' Newtonians we sometimes see in adverts and tv shows...  Might be a laugh at star parties....  "Hey, buddy, i think you have that thing backwards!"  "I dunno, have a look...."

Obviously this would be mostly for visual instruments....  Wonder if there would be a cost saving....

Dave

#7 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted Yesterday, 06:04 PM

Along with aberrations introduced in a fast Refractor by Prism Diagonal, I found I preferred my Maxbright over the Prism for the increase in transmission for both Planets and DSO's (which is IMO noticeable at the eyepiece).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics