•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion XX12i vs XX14i

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gschnettler

Gschnettler

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 08:07 AM

I think I’ve narrowed down my search for a new telescope to one of these two. I am leaning towards the 12” but someone said that the 14” is more portable bc the base comes apart for transport. Does anyone know if the 12” base also disassembles? Is the 14” really more portable?

While the 14” obviously collects more light, it doesn’t look like you can see much more since the magnitude of observable objects only increases from 15.1 to 15.5. That being the case I’d like to get the smaller more portable one and also save some money. What do you think?

#2 CosmoSat

CosmoSat

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bharat, 19N 73E

Posted Yesterday, 08:28 AM

It's like looking through three 8" scopes with the 14 over 2.25 eight inch scopes with the 12.

#3 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Viking 1

Posted Yesterday, 08:29 AM

I just looked through the manuals for the XX12i and XX14i, and they clearly show that the base of the 12i is held together by wood screws, and that of the 14i has the twist screws like the base for XX12g (which is what I have).  The 14i can thus be taken apart easily, but the 12i would require you to remove a bunch of wood screws.

The amount of light gathered is related to the surface area of the mirror, and so 14" gathers ~36% more light than 12".  Given that the 14" is significantly heavier than the 12", the increase in light may not be the tipping point.  But, combined with the easier disassemble of the 14" that may be the difference.

Of course, for $100 less than the 14i you can get the XX12g, and its base disassembles.

Edited by eyeoftexas, Yesterday, 08:31 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics