•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Which sky safari to get?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gschnettler

Gschnettler

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 08:25 AM

I see that a lot of people recommend Sky Safari for iphone. There appear to be 3 versions. The Plus option seems to be a good middle ground.

I intend to simply use it to find where things are in the sky visually. I have no intention of connecting it to a telescope. The only pro feature that I think sounds interesting is a catalog of supernova. Would that be worth the additional price?

#2 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted Yesterday, 08:31 AM

Plus.

The Pro is in a way almost identical but more stars, like 13 million of them.

You ain't going to care about 12.5 million of them anyway. And the Plus has 2.5 million or maybe 3 million.

Also the Pro needs more meory and more processing so could run slow.

Plus is all you will need.

• Tangerman and Gschnettler like this

#3 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Viking 1

Posted Yesterday, 08:37 AM

I use Plus on my iPhone and iPad to control my mounts.  Those are plenty for moving to targets, etc.  At home on the computer I use Pro.  The big differences are the number of stars (up to 130 million in Pro, 2.5M in Plus) and DSO's (4+M in Pro, 32K in Plus).  You're under deep dark skies with a gigantic mirror if you need the Pro in the field!

#4 charlieb123

charlieb123

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: New York

Posted Yesterday, 08:39 AM

Go for the basic one until you find a limitation that convinces you to upgrade. 

I got the pro version working with my az-gti and its quite a revelation for someone learning to navigate the sky. 

skyview lite is a good free planetarium app to try before going with sky safari. 

Edited by charlieb123, Yesterday, 08:43 AM.

#5 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted Yesterday, 10:11 AM

You don’t indicate what size scope you have and if you want to us SkySafari for star hopping or not.  If you are just doing naked eye astronomy then the free version is more than sufficient.  If you are star hopping and have a scope less than 10” in diameter, then Plus is probably fine.  With a larger scope, Pro might be needed to match the stars you are seeing in the eyepiece.

#6 Gschnettler

Gschnettler

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 11:10 AM

All of your answers are very helpful. I have a 6” scope. I’m going to go with the Plus version.

Thank you all very much!

#7 Gschnettler

Gschnettler

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 11:10 AM

All of your answers are very helpful. I have a 6” scope. I’m going to go with the Plus version.

Thank you all very much!

——

ok, I realize the above is a duplicate.  I just have clicked submit twice.  And now the Delete button doesn’t work.  But the edit button does which is how I’m able to type this. 

Edited by Gschnettler, Yesterday, 11:12 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics