•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

TEC Eyepiece Turret

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 stephenws

stephenws

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 02 August 2020 - 09:03 AM

Is there anyplace still selling the TEC eyepiece turret, or has this item been discontinued?

#2 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Cosmos

• Loc: N. Florida

Posted 02 August 2020 - 09:48 AM

Teleskop Express in Germany has it in stock according to their website. I almost bought it but decided on the Tak turret instead for no particular reason than I have a Takahashi refractor. 

https://www.teleskop...-eyepieces.html

• 25585 and stephenws like this

#3 stephenws

stephenws

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 02 August 2020 - 10:29 AM

Thanks!

Would prefer to order from a US distributer, but will keep this in mind.

#4 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 03 August 2020 - 07:13 AM

Teleskop Express in Germany has it in stock according to their website. I almost bought it but decided on the Tak turret instead for no particular reason than I have a Takahashi refractor. 

https://www.teleskop...-eyepieces.html

Must be old stock as It's been discontinued for some time.

#5 Axunator

Axunator

Viking 1

• Loc: Helsinki, Finland

Posted 03 August 2020 - 09:32 AM

Must be old stock as It's been discontinued for some time.

Probably from the last batch manufactured - I think TEC announced last year that they will make the last batch from still available parts and that will be it. I bought my TEC turret last fall (October -19), and at the time TS was out of stock, but I was able to get a new one from Baader (Germany). Now Baader seems to be out of stock, but TS webstore seems to show "green light".

I live in Europe and unfortunately I don't know any US vendors who still has it in stock, but if you really want one, TS usually is willing to ship to US and they are a reputable vendor.

My first specimen had a mechanical problem with the rotation mechanism, but Baader replaced the turret with a new one right away (luckily they still had them at the time). The second one has been a wonderful piece of gear, I really enjoy using it. Some people report some incompatibility with turret's eyepiece holders and some eyepieces with undercuts, but I've eliminated undercuts from all my 1.25" EPs with 1/4" aluminum-vinyl tape, and the holders work like a champ. I only use it with lighter EPs, though (orthos, Tak LEs, T6 naglers etc.),

Edited by Axunator, 03 August 2020 - 09:35 AM.

• Marcus Roman likes this

#6 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 03 August 2020 - 10:04 AM

Think I'll buy a Tak....

• payner likes this

#7 WE349A

WE349A

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 03 August 2020 - 02:17 PM

I got one from Teleskop. Sold out everywhere else. Really a nice toy, really well made and enjoyable to be able to flip back and forth as seeing or targets change.

#8 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 03 August 2020 - 03:46 PM

One could always place a wanted ad for a used Van Slyke turret.

Edited by Paul G, 03 August 2020 - 03:46 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics