•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Small scratch on secondary - need to worry?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jloweva

jloweva

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 09:12 AM

Hi all:

As I was removing my secondary to install a dew heater on the back, I noticed a very small scratch in the mirror.  It's about 3/4 of the way down and toward the middle.  It's very small, maybe 3-5mm.  I initially thought it was an eyelash/eyebrow follicle.

The mirror is a 3.10" minor axis 1/30 wave secondary from Antares mated to a 16" f/4 quartz Zambuto primary mirror.

Any cause for serious concern?  Would hate to have to replace it as it's only a few months old.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks!

#2 scopewizard

scopewizard

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted Yesterday, 09:28 AM

Not an issue at all. You could have dozen of those on it and you would not see the difference. The polishing quality an coating are more important.

• Jon Isaacs, scottinash, markb and 1 other like this

#3 MitchAlsup

MitchAlsup

Skylab

• -----

Posted Today, 02:01 PM

Any cause for serious concern?  Would hate to have to replace it as it's only a few months old.

In the future if you even need to have this mirror re-coated, it will probably vanish.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics