•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What do I need for GOTO Astrophotagraphy?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dml33

dml33

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 09:15 AM

My goal here is to be able to quickly find objects in the sky(milky way, DSO, comets etc), track them while my canon camera is taking photo's of the said object. 

I was thinking maybe some sort of GOTO mount. I have skyguider pro on the way but not sure if that will fit the bill what I am looking for. Can you all guide me in the right direction?

#2 zxx

zxx

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 09:23 AM

What FL lens ?  several goto mounts in the $900 to $1200 range. The EQM 35 is around $700, ES has one for around $400.

#3 dml33

dml33

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 10:02 AM

What FL lens ?  several goto mounts in the $900 to $1200 range. The EQM 35 is around $700, ES has one for around $400.

The only lens I am using is a Rokinon 135mm. 

So is the ES is a good option? Any cheaper options? I guess I should've stated a budget. $400 or less is the goal. Preferably much less if at all possible

#4 zxx

zxx

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 10:09 AM

The only lens I am using is a Rokinon 135mm. 

So is the ES is a good option? Any cheaper options? I guess I should've stated a budget. $400 or less is the goal. Preferably much less if at all possible

The folks on this thread would be who to ask for that info https://www.cloudyni...pmc-eight-399/ 

Edited by zxx, Yesterday, 10:24 AM.

#5 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted Yesterday, 10:17 AM

Just in case for AP you need an Equitorial Goto.

Only say a several are Alt/Az and I suggest not going for an Alt Az that has an Eq mode. They just never quite do the job of a straight forward Equitorial.

#6 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximenez (No one expects the Spanish Inquisition)

• Administrators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted Yesterday, 10:34 AM

I know that books are tragically un-hip, but something like this would help to steer you in the right direction with minimal intellectual thrash.

#7 mborland

mborland

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted Yesterday, 10:38 AM

You don't absolutely need GOTO, but it makes life much easier, particularly in light-polluted skies or for dim objects that are hard to see. If possible, get a mount that can be controlled from a computer, smartphone, or tablet, which will allow using platesolving on the computer to get even more accurate framing.

--Michael

#8 dml33

dml33

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 01:02 PM

You don't absolutely need GOTO, but it makes life much easier, particularly in light-polluted skies or for dim objects that are hard to see. If possible, get a mount that can be controlled from a computer, smartphone, or tablet, which will allow using platesolving on the computer to get even more accurate framing.

--Michael

Do you know of one that you would recommend?

#9 hcf

hcf

Messenger

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 02:18 PM

My goal here is to be able to quickly find objects in the sky(milky way, DSO, comets etc), track them while my canon camera is taking photo's of the said object. 

I was thinking maybe some sort of GOTO mount. I have skyguider pro on the way but not sure if that will fit the bill what I am looking for. Can you all guide me in the right direction?

The iEXOS-100 is a good option for your purpose.

If you are good at DIY electronics, you could buy a CG-4 or Skyview Pro manual mount for $300 and add motors and controllers to it,  using ONSTEP. Much better mount, and future compatible in case you get bigger scopes later.

https://onstep.group.../main/wiki/4414

One other thing to consider with the skyguider pro, is using platesolving to do a push to instead of goto. You could use something like my PSWAI, which would show you where the camera is pointed to on sky safari. You then iteratively move by hand /platesolve to frame your object.

https://www.cloudyni...sual-astronomy/

Since you have a camera on your mount, you don't need an extra camera like in the above example. You should be able to do this with a raspberry pi connected to your DSLR. You will have to do some precise movements with the ball head,  which can be difficult but you do have a large Field of View with the 135mm which should help.

Edited by hcf, Yesterday, 02:19 PM.

• zxx likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics