•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Batteries for GoTo

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 StarTrooper

StarTrooper

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 09:23 AM

Looking for an external battery for powering a GEM GoTo. What ampHour? Make, model? I have solar panels which charge at the rate of 1200m/A per hour. Any suggestions?

Thanks

#2 Xeroid

Xeroid

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted Yesterday, 09:39 AM

Review the TalentCell Rechargeable 72W 100WH 12V/8300mAh 9V/11000mAh 5V/20000mAh DC Output Lithium ion Battery at Amazon

• havasman likes this

#3 markb

markb

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Island; in transition to Arizona

Posted Yesterday, 09:48 AM

+1 on the talentcell. The 6000/12000mAh is fine too. Runs my GPS11 for hours.

#4 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted Yesterday, 10:30 AM

Maybe search for a Solar Power Bank as they seem intended for attaching a solar panel to for charging.

Maybe check out the Goal Zero offerings. Good, but a bit higher cost.

#5 mborland

mborland

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted Yesterday, 10:57 AM

I got the Jackery 500 (518 W*h, lithium) recently, since I needed the capacity to power a mount, camera cooler, and laptop all night. (I use a separate Orion Dynamo Pro for the dew heaters only.) It's well built and overall I'm happy with it, but the two of the three 12V power jacks take a plug that doesn't seem to exist on this side of the galaxy. I usually have about 60% power left at the end of a short summer night, so I'm optimistic that it has enough power for long winter nights as well. It can be recharged from AC, solar panels, or a car outlet.

--Michael

#6 BigDaddy

BigDaddy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 01:39 PM

Okay, I hate sounding stupid, but.... I saw this on Amazon, but how would you connect the Nexstar 8se?  The only attachments I see are a cigarette lighter attachment and a regular AC plug?  I have little doubt that it is something simple, but I am new to this and definitely not electronically adept.  Thanks for any help.

#7 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Gemini

• Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted Yesterday, 04:09 PM

Okay, I hate sounding stupid, but.... I saw this on Amazon, but how would you connect the Nexstar 8se?  The only attachments I see are a cigarette lighter attachment and a regular AC plug?  I have little doubt that it is something simple, but I am new to this and definitely not electronically adept.  Thanks for any help.

Your GEM most likely runs on 12v DC. If you have an ac plug-in power supply for it, look at its label to verify the output voltage. I believe the 12v output of the Talentcell is a standard barrel type power socket which means that a cord with the appropriate barrel plugs at each end will connect the battery to your mount. If you have a power cord for the mount that ends in a cigarette lighter plug, then a cord with a cigarette lighter socket at one end and a barrel connector at the theTalentcell end will connect the mount to the battery without needing to put connectors on wires or solder wires together.

If your mount doesn't use a standard barrel plug, you may end up having to splice wires together to connect the Talentcell to your mount. While soldering is the most secure way of doing this, you could do it using twist on electrical connectors.

• Xeroid likes this

#8 markb

markb

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Island; in transition to Arizona

Posted Yesterday, 06:19 PM

Nexstars use the 5.5 outer barrel 2.1mm inner barrel plug. That's what came with my 6000/12000 mAh Talentcell.

The socket on the Talentcell itself is for both charging and output. You're not supposed to do both of the same time. The 5.5 / 2.1 barrel plug is one of the more universal ones, but there must be 8 or more that pop up, including the 2.5 internal barrel used on the Meades for many years.

You will have to see what comes with the particular Talentcell. I use the wire that came with it as well as another y connector to run a video camera (theoretically, I haven't gotten around to it yet).

I find the USB output particularly helpful for a plug-in book light and to power my tablet if necessary. I run SkySafari Plus and an Astro-gadget.net StarBT converter for telescope control.

#9 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted Yesterday, 09:05 PM

+1 on the talentcell. The 6000/12000mAh is fine too. Runs my GPS11 for hours.

Yep, been using a 6000mAh with a CGEM.  I usually recharge daily but I bet I could get several nights.  Same ran my 492 G11 several nights (10 ??) WO recharge.  Plug that comes with it is compatible with both.

Edited by mich_al, Yesterday, 09:06 PM.

#10 cam1936

cam1936

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted Yesterday, 11:34 PM

I use a deep cycle marine battery. 78 AH IIRC. It can run mount and dew heaters for multiple nights without worry.

#11 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted Today, 06:38 AM

Another vote for the TalentCell.  I use this one as it has a higher Amp rating (6A) which seems to run my GOTO Dob's smoother and quieter than my previous 4500mAh which was rated at 2A.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics