•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to plug everything in...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Newbutnotreallynew

Newbutnotreallynew

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2020 - 09:41 AM

Trying to anticipate problems here... (I know some of you will advise me against it but I can't help it its my inherent nature to want to be ultra organised). 

Along side the 8SE arriving, I expect to have the starsense auto align, powertank battery and GPS unit, do I need something additional here to plug all these devices in at the same time? 

Thanks! 

#2 Sandy Swede

Sandy Swede

Mariner 2

• Loc: Delaware beaches

Posted 02 August 2020 - 10:53 AM

Take a look at the Jackery portable power station and possibly the Pegasus Powerbox.

#3 Newbutnotreallynew

Newbutnotreallynew

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2020 - 11:43 AM

Thanks sandy but I plan to have Celestron's powertank so I don't need another power source. I have found out I need celestrons AUX port splitter though in order to simultaneously use the GPS and starsense camera. 

UNLESS, does anyone know if I could plug in the starsense camera into the skysync GPS AUX port, instead of the mount AUX port? 

#4 Gamewarden

Gamewarden

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Centreville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 02 August 2020 - 11:44 AM

Your going to need at least one if not 2 splitters. There is only one aux port so if you plug in the starsense there is no room for the gps unit, assuming it requires an aux port, I dont have one.

Edited by Gamewarden, 02 August 2020 - 11:46 AM.

#5 Sandy Swede

Sandy Swede

Mariner 2

• Loc: Delaware beaches

Posted 02 August 2020 - 12:43 PM

Not sure which Celestron Power Tank you are getting, but search on CN a possible issue of not being able to run 12V and USB 5V/1.5A at the same time.  IIRC, there were some posts about this issue.

#6 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Soyuz

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 02 August 2020 - 12:59 PM

Thanks sandy but I plan to have Celestron's powertank so I don't need another power source. I have found out I need celestrons AUX port splitter though in order to simultaneously use the GPS and starsense camera. 

UNLESS, does anyone know if I could plug in the starsense camera into the skysync GPS AUX port, instead of the mount AUX port? 

Yes you can plug GPS into the SE's AUX port, then Starsense camera into GPS AUX port. You don't need a further splitter unless you want to add (say) a Sky Portal external WiFi accessory. 

• mrki233 likes this

#7 Newbutnotreallynew

Newbutnotreallynew

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2020 - 02:56 PM

Yes you can plug GPS into the SE's AUX port, then Starsense camera into GPS AUX port. You don't need a further splitter unless you want to add (say) a Sky Portal external WiFi accessory. 

Perfect thank you. I'm planning to skip over WiFi, the idea of using my ipad or whatever to move it around.. I dont know it doesnt excite me?! I get excited thinking about using the HC lol.gif

Although after the scope stops being so new and I get over the wanting to always touch it stage, I might consider WiFi as I read on here the apps have more updated items I might want to GoTo to, like the recent Neowise. That's about the only reason I can imagine where I'd want to use the apps. 

#8 Newbutnotreallynew

Newbutnotreallynew

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2020 - 02:57 PM

Not sure which Celestron Power Tank you are getting, but search on CN a possible issue of not being able to run 12V and USB 5V/1.5A at the same time.  IIRC, there were some posts about this issue.

I'm still really new to this astronomy world, what does USB 5V/1.5A refer to? 

#9 mike12384

mike12384

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Fountain Hills AZ

Posted 02 August 2020 - 03:46 PM

I have the same set up, except I have the talentcell battery. I have the starsense plugged into the aux port, and have the aux splitter plugged into the port on the mount arm with the gps and the hand control plugged into that. 

I tried a few different configurations of this, because when I had the splitter plugged into the aux port with the gps and the starsense the system not align and give me error messages. Good luck to you

#10 Newbutnotreallynew

Newbutnotreallynew

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2020 - 04:49 PM

I have the same set up, except I have the talentcell battery. I have the starsense plugged into the aux port, and have the aux splitter plugged into the port on the mount arm with the gps and the hand control plugged into that. 

I tried a few different configurations of this, because when I had the splitter plugged into the aux port with the gps and the starsense the system not align and give me error messages. Good luck to you

Thanks so much. I found an old 2018 thread on here discussing the starsense not working when used with the splitter for some people but then for others it worked fine. I'll be keeping everything crossed! 

Edited by Newbutnotreallynew, 02 August 2020 - 06:03 PM.

#11 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 03 August 2020 - 09:43 AM

I'm still really new to this astronomy world, what does USB 5V/1.5A refer to? 

Many devices today don't have a specific power connection but instead draw their power through a USB connection. The USB standard supplies 5v on the USB connector. Older USB 2 ports supply 5 v and .5 of an amp, newer USB 3 and USB type C ports can usually supply the higher amperage mentioned, and these are sometimes referred to as USB charging ports.

All the larger Celestron mounts require 12v power sources (they then break down that voltage into 5 and 3.3v internally for the various requirements ,,, but the motors driving the mount still require 12v). The 12v connection is a 2.1 x 5.5mm barrel connector and socket.

Edited by mclewis1, 03 August 2020 - 09:43 AM.

• Newbutnotreallynew likes this

#12 Newbutnotreallynew

Newbutnotreallynew

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:27 AM

Many devices today don't have a specific power connection but instead draw their power through a USB connection. The USB standard supplies 5v on the USB connector. Older USB 2 ports supply 5 v and .5 of an amp, newer USB 3 and USB type C ports can usually supply the higher amperage mentioned, and these are sometimes referred to as USB charging ports.

All the larger Celestron mounts require 12v power sources (they then break down that voltage into 5 and 3.3v internally for the various requirements ,,, but the motors driving the mount still require 12v). The 12v connection is a 2.1 x 5.5mm barrel connector and socket.

Ahh I see! Thanks so much for the explanation I love all this learning. My husband is so impressed with me these days and I love shocking him with my tech "knowledge" lol.gif

• mclewis1 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics