•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Outside temperatures

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bhawks99

bhawks99

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 09:57 AM

Good morning all. Does the hot outside temperature affect night viewing? I am in AZ where the temp at night can still be 100 degrees at 9, 10, 11 pm. Is this excessive heat hard on a telescope? Thanks.

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted Yesterday, 10:15 AM

Good morning all. Does the hot outside temperature affect night viewing? I am in AZ where the temp at night can still be 100 degrees at 9, 10, 11 pm. Is this excessive heat hard on a telescope? Thanks.

Hello and :welcome: to Cloudy Nights.

The heat should not affect the telescope in any long term way. It should be fine.

But you need to watch out for yourself.. 100 degrees is hot and can be receiving. I'm sure you know that.

My friend Jack lives in Indio, near Palm Springs. He texted me that it was 97° F.. it was 5:41.. in the MORNING. The sun wasn't even up yet..

Jon

• havasman likes this

#3 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Vanguard

• Loc: Missouri

Posted Yesterday, 10:22 AM

The telescope in general should be ok. Plastic parts might age faster than normal, making them more prone to cracking and breaking. Electronics might also get weird, as connectors might soften and come apart. This all assumes you have the scope out all day.

I assume your home is air conditioned. Hopefully, your scope lives inside with you rather than in a garage or out in your yard.

Stay hydrated!

#4 KBHornblower

KBHornblower

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Falls Church, VA (Washington DC suburb)

Posted Yesterday, 10:51 AM

I have had excellent views with the temperature near 90 with high humidity.  Sometimes we get good seeing here in greater Washington under such conditions.  If the scope was in an air conditioned house before going out it may need time to warm up to the outside temperature.  That is nowhere near hot enough to damage optical glass.  Just don't leave it in a car in the hot sun by day.

#5 Couder

Couder

Mariner 2

• Loc: Missouri Ozarks

Posted Yesterday, 11:24 AM

It depends on what kind of scope. Like ShaulaB said, plastics and electronics might suffer long term. My scopes, antique brass refractors, - I've used Herschel wedges for solar viewing for many years, they sit in the sun for hours, sometimes all day pointed at the Sun with no damage. 

#6 Jethro7

Jethro7

Viking 1

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted Yesterday, 11:35 AM

Hello Bhawks,

No the heat will not harm your scopes and mounts. I cover mine with Telegizmo's 365 covers when I leave them out. It will get up to 98° in the shade and 100% humidity here in Summer. I'm more concerned  by moisture down here if Florida, humidity is not a issue for you.

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

#7 bhawks99

bhawks99

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 11:35 AM

Thanks for the info all. The scope is in the house during the day and I typically take it out about an hour before viewing then it goes back in the house after viewing. The scope is a Celestron 11" EdgeHD with a CGX mount.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics