•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meet Star Gazers : mobile app for stargazing events

clubs outreach star party LP beginner observing
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sujay

Sujay

Dark Sky Map & Meet Star Gazers

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Paris

Posted 02 August 2020 - 12:06 PM

Hello,

I have developed a mobile app called Meet Star Gazers that simplifies the organization of stargazing events. 

Android : https://play.google....ers.application

iOS : https://apps.apple.c...1496751760?mt=8

Short introductory video : https://youtu.be/TFqpdsJG5OU

I hope your find this tool useful for outreach activities, star parties organized by astronomy clubs and observatories as well as amongst groups of friends and family.

Edited by Sujay, 02 August 2020 - 05:17 PM.

• fiston and a-po like this

#2 Sujay

Sujay

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2020 - 06:30 AM

Salient Features of the Meet Star Gazers mobile app:

1. Interactive map to share and participate in stargazing events in our respective regions by geolocating the user.
  2. A light pollution map built in partnership with the Light Pollution Science and Technology Institute.
  3. A visual cloud cover map in partnership with Meteoblue. Meteoblue is a source of high quality weather data worldwide. Meteoblue was initially developed at the University of Basel in Switzerland and quickly became popular with scientists and and astronomers.
  4. Hourly weather forecast for one week for the user’s position to plan observation sessions in advance.
  5. Lunar and solar ephemerides for one month.
  6. Hourly weather forecast for each stargazing event.
  7. Adding a stargazing event to one’s telephone calendar.
  8. Driving itinerary to every stargazing location with Google Maps or
    Waze.
  9. Invite friends to a stargazing event by email or Whatsapp.
  10. Simple dedicated messenger channel for each stargazing event.

Meet Star Gazers has been thoughtfully developed to serve the needs of astronomy clubs and observatories that run outreach activities, amateur astronomers who want to observe together with other fellow amateur astronomers from their region or for observation with friends and family.

I will be more than happy to do a presentation of this app by Zoom or Skype, if you are interested.

Edited by Sujay, 07 August 2020 - 03:37 AM.

#3 Bill Jensen

Bill Jensen

Messenger

• Loc: Springfield VA

Posted 06 August 2020 - 04:58 PM

Seems like adding a link for this app to a Star Party's website would be a "win/win" 

Bill

• Sujay likes this

#4 Sujay

Sujay

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 07 August 2020 - 03:34 AM

Seems like adding a link for this app to a Star Party's website would be a "win/win" 

Bill

Hello Bill,

I completely agree with you and thank you very much for your suggestion. How do we proceed ? Can you suggest whom I should contact to integrate a link on a Star Party's website ? Do you want me to do a presentation for your club's members by Zoom/Skype ? 

Edited by Sujay, 07 August 2020 - 03:39 AM.

#5 Bill Jensen

Bill Jensen

Messenger

• Loc: Springfield VA

Posted 07 August 2020 - 03:43 PM

Hello Bill,

I completely agree with you and thank you very much for your suggestion. How do we proceed ? Can you suggest whom I should contact to integrate a link on a Star Party's website ? Do you want me to do a presentation for your club's members by Zoom/Skype ? 

I am not certain if the CN Moderators would allow it, but you may want to post a note on the Astronomy Clubs/Star parties forum, pointing to your note in this forum. Not everyone looks at the vendor forums. 

https://www.cloudyni...ws-conferences/

As for the star party that I normally attend (as noted in my signature), it is scheduled for a year from now, and we can bring it up during the planning meetings that will occur later this year and next. As it is a remote site, we have very detailed directions, but anything to help someone get to our location and use it to the utmost is welcome. 

• Sujay likes this

#6 Sujay

Sujay

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 07 August 2020 - 08:11 PM

I am not certain if the CN Moderators would allow it, but you may want to post a note on the Astronomy Clubs/Star parties forum, pointing to your note in this forum. Not everyone looks at the vendor forums. 

https://www.cloudyni...ws-conferences/

As for the star party that I normally attend (as noted in my signature), it is scheduled for a year from now, and we can bring it up during the planning meetings that will occur later this year and next. As it is a remote site, we have very detailed directions, but anything to help someone get to our location and use it to the utmost is welcome. 

Thank you so much Bill for your generous suggestions. Here is what I suggest :

1. I am allowed to post about my projects only in the vendor forum. Hence I will ask CN moderators themselves to make a short post with a link.
  2. If that is not allowed, I will email each star party's organizing team individually to introduce my project.
  3. For the Oregon Star Party, if you can share this tool during the planning meetings, I will be extremely grateful to you. I am very glad that you find the tool useful. I have invested a lot of effort, time and money into this project. It is extremely fulfilling when an experienced amateur astronomer like yourself, find's it useful.

Thanks once more for your support. I will keep you informed about the progress I make on this project. Wishing you clear and dark skies. 

Edited by Sujay, 07 August 2020 - 08:19 PM.

• Bill Jensen likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: clubs, outreach, star party, LP, beginner, observing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics