•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New SolarMax III 90mm Double-Stack Ghosting?

solar Meade
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Blecharz

Matt Blecharz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2020 - 05:47 PM

Good Afternoon y'all, hoping to get some feedback from everyone - I've got a new Solarmax III 90MM double-stack (still within 1 year warranty) and I cannot get a focused image when double-stacked! The best I've gotten is a sharp, bright white disc when single-stacked with one T-Max ring attached; When double-stacked I cannot get anything other than a ghosting image of multiple orbs moving across each other. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong? 

The sun is in the center of the Sol Ranger, and no ghosted image is visible from the ranger!

Please see below some quick images (1) ASI1600, single-stacked, 1 t-max ring; (2) double-stacked, asi1600 - playing around with both t-max rings. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 02 - Double Stacked, two TMax, ASI1600.png
  • 01 - Single Stack, Single TMax.png

#2 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• Loc: Florida

Posted 02 August 2020 - 11:01 PM

Hi Matt,

Where's your location? Elevation might matter depending on what these etalons were tuned for.

Also, when using just one etalon in a single stack mode, do you see HA features?

Very best,

#3 Ted Dobosz

Ted Dobosz

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney Australia

Posted 03 August 2020 - 06:55 AM

Hi Matt

When you say Orbs, do you mean the interference pattern shown on the left image or multiple but less bright images of the sun on the edges of the field of view?  I am assuming the image on the left is the double stack version because it is darker.

As mentioned by Marty, when you look visually do you see any details in either single or double stack mode?

Ted

Edited by Ted Dobosz, 03 August 2020 - 06:56 AM.

#4 Matt Blecharz

Matt Blecharz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 August 2020 - 07:04 PM

Good Afternoon,

Thanks for the responses - greatly appreciated! I'm around Vancouver Washington / Portland Oregon - Elevation is <500' - I'm still getting comfortable looking through this Telescope - I have a healthy need to maintain my eyesight :) - I know with the Blocking Filter / an Elaton attached I don't have much to worry about but it still gets me each time!

I had the 25mm eyepiece, and the drawtube fully extended but struggled to maintain any focus; I'm confident this is more me not spending enough time with it today rather than anything else; it hit 90* today and the heat just got too much. I'll give it another go tomorrow, make sure I'm not focusing on a shadow/ghost of the sun and then see if I can get focus again to rule out the scope itself! - thanks for the feedback thus far - I'll share more tomorrow 

Matt,

#5 BYoesle

BYoesle

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Washington USA

Posted 12 August 2020 - 10:14 AM

Hi Matt,

Pretty tough to see what might be the issue(s) from your images.

Ghost images in general are normal with double stacking and are moved off the primary image via the DS etalon tilter. Other issues are getting one or both filters on-band, and of course the proper focusing.

DS Ghost.jpg

I'm not far from PDX-Vancouver and go there often. I'm pretty familiar with DSing these scopes could help check out your rig sometime - PM me if you'd like to get together.

SM90sSm.jpg

Edited by BYoesle, 12 August 2020 - 01:36 PM.

#6 Matt Blecharz

Matt Blecharz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 October 2020 - 05:36 PM

Hey all, thanks for your responses! Its been a little bit but I finally got a chance to pull out the scope and start playing around with it again. I've finally gotten a clear, crisp disc through the eyepiece and know its in the camera now for my challenges. I'll keep playing around with it as the year goes on. 

Thanks again, 

• BinoGuy likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solar, Meade

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics