•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lunar Sketch 7 of 12: Sinus Iridum

art moon outreach sketching
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DDEV

DDEV

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Posted 03 August 2020 - 05:14 AM

Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening all,

I hope this post finds you and those close to you well. I am pleased to share with you the 7th installment of my lunar sketches - only five to go! Something tells me though that I'm going to keep up the activity once December comes! I am thoroughly enjoying sketching the Moon whenever I get the chance to. And on that...

July was another poor month for astronomy in Ireland because of the poor weather - I only manged four sessions all month. Consequently, I had only one opportunity to sketch the Moon. That was last Thursday at my sister's house in Baltinglass Co. Wicklow.

According to the 'Clear Outside" website my sister lives under a Bortle 4 sky - Needless to say, I was looking forward to observing from her place. When I arrived at 23:11 IST, the sky was cloudy, but Jupiter was visible. I set up the scope in her SW facing back garden, where my sister, her husband, my Dad, and my niece and nephew observed Jupiter, the Moon, Saturn, M13, and Albireo. By 01:00 IST the sky improved. The Milky Way was visible, and the sky looked magnificent. As it was my nephew's 11th birthday there was plenty of food to keep us going until the early hours.

As it ended up being a more of an out reach type of event, I did not sketch the lunar surface at the eyepiece. Instead I sketched Sinus Iridum yesterday. We observe this feature on Thursday night. My family were blown away by the beautiful area of the lunar surface. Being honest, they loved the entire Moon. So much so, that my brother-in-law is now on the look out for scope for the family. It was a great night, and it was nice way to mark my nephew's birthday.

Other details from that evening include:

Seeing: 4pk
Transparency: 3/4
Instrument used: f/5 250mm Newtonian Reflector
Eyepiece: 6mm Expanse (66° AFOV)
Materials used: 8B pencil, 2B, and an eraser. The image was sketched from a photo, and cropped and reszied using GIMP 2.0. The sketch was scanned, and uploaded to my PC.

As always many thanks for taking the time to read the above, and your comments and feedback are always welcomed.

Clear skies to all,

Darren.

Sinus Iridum IFAS resized 2.png

• Special Ed, cildarith, frank5817 and 19 others like this

#2 Astroman007

Astroman007

Voyager 1

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 03 August 2020 - 07:08 AM

Loved the backstory as well as the sketch. Thank you for sharing both. Always nice when new lovers of the higher things are made. :)

• DDEV likes this

#3 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Cosmos

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 03 August 2020 - 11:29 AM

Darren,

Very good sketch of Sinus Iridum smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

• DDEV likes this

#4 acr_astro

acr_astro

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Germany, Dusseldorf area

Posted 03 August 2020 - 01:27 PM

Hi Darren,

it's a fine pencil sketch of Sinus Iridum. Well done!

And even more important you managed to excite your sister's family with astronomy. That's even more important. So well done too!

Clear skies!

Achim
  • flt158 and DDEV like this

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 03 August 2020 - 08:00 PM

Darren,

Excellent capture of Sinus Iridum. So that is number 7 you are moving right along and I bet you are more confident and relaxed making them. Well done.

Frank :)

• DDEV likes this

#6 DDEV

DDEV

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2020 - 07:34 AM

Hello Martin, Tom, Achim, and Frank,

Very many thanks for your messages. It was a great feeling to see (and hear) other people's reaction as they looked through a telescope for the first time. There was such excitement, and everyone was buzzing. This was especially nice because my Dad is coming to the end of his time with us. He's at the advanced stage of stomach cancer, so he is living with my sister. At the start of night his energy was very low, but by the end of it he kept encouraging his grandchildren to take another look through the eyepiece as he seemed to get a real kick from seeing and hearing their reactions. He even helped to move the base of the Dob to the car as he packed up. It was wonderful to see him in such high spirit. There was childlike giddiness in him that we haven't seen in quite a few weeks.

Telescopes are amazing instruments, and I love how they can bring people together. 

Clear skies to you, and as always many thanks for those who liked the sketch. 

Darren.

Edited by DDEV, 05 August 2020 - 11:10 AM.

• frank5817 likes this

#7 Pbinder

Pbinder

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Long Island, New York

Posted 20 August 2020 - 07:52 AM

Great detail. Always love the moon

• DDEV likes this

#8 DDEV

DDEV

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 August 2020 - 02:05 PM

Many thanks for your message 'Pbinder'. I'm in agreement with you about the moon: love it!

Clear skies,

Darren.

#9 santaritajim

santaritajim

Sputnik

• Loc: Santa Rita Mtns., Az.

Posted 20 August 2020 - 02:16 PM

The moon is such a great subject to sketch. Black to white, if ever a better value study was so easily available, I'd enjoy sketching it too. Wonderful sketch DDEV, such a feeling of change in texture, and terrain. Thanx for sharing.

• DDEV likes this

#10 DDEV

DDEV

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 August 2020 - 05:34 PM

Hi 'santaritajim' very many thanks for your kind words. At the start of the year I set-out to sketch the Moon each month throughout 2020. I find when I sketch the Lunar surface I gain a whole new appreciation for the beauty of our nearest celestial neighbour. So many fascinating objects.

Thanks again, and clear skies to you. 

Darren. 

Edited by DDEV, 22 August 2020 - 05:35 PM.

#11 santaritajim

santaritajim

Sputnik

• Loc: Santa Rita Mtns., Az.

Posted 23 August 2020 - 05:16 PM

That is a wonderful goal, DDEV, and inspiring. I look forward to the coming sketches. At the end of a year you will have a nice portfolio. Do you continue your sketches multiple times during the month until completed, or try to finish them in one viewing? I've found there's a lot of detail on any portion of the lunar surface, and to get that down on paper at one time takes a lot of practice, and endurance. Great sketch.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: art, moon, outreach, sketching

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics