•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Disappointed x 2

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 03 August 2020 - 07:38 AM

This is a story of two disappointed people - myself (potential buyer) and the seller. A few days ago, these showed up on Kijiji, in Gananoque, ON:

https://www.kijiji.c...lars/1515230390

"Carl Wetzlar" 20x65 achromatic "Lumenized" binoculars with integral tripod mount. The ad doesn't mention the asking price, but I contacted the seller and she said "$200, but I'm willing to haggle". I said I was interested and we made plans to meet, but since the seller is 150 km from where I live, I was honest up front. I informed her that "Carl Wetzlar" was the house brand of K-Mart Canada, and while the bins she was selling looked like a top-range model, they were a mid-range to a bit above average Japanese brand, and that I would not be likely to offer anything close to $200 for them. I also stated that if they were indeed German 20x65 binoculars made in Wetzlar then I certainly would consider $200 Canadian to be a fair price.

Well.

The seller replied that they were quality German binoculars from Wetzlar, and that there was nothing Japanese about them. I sent her some links to posts on this forum and other sources that discussed the "Carl Wetzlar" brand and its provenance - all respectful and emphasizing the above average quality, but confirming their Japanese origin and association with KMart. Since then I have not received any replies to any further messages, nor any acknowledgement of my evidence for their origin.

Hence the two disappointed people - myself because I was genuinely interested in buying the binoculars, and the seller because the item she is selling turned out to be something less valuable than supposed.

• aa5te likes this

#2 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 03 August 2020 - 08:13 AM

Money saved for something better, me thinks.

• Gumball likes this

#3 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 03 August 2020 - 09:17 AM

I pass these things off as dealing with "Ki-Junk-Ji"

There's a few legit, fair priced deals out there, but far more over-priced items that people "Think" they know about when in fact

it's the classic case of:

"A little bit of knowledge is dangerous".

It's entertaining to surf, but not to seriously buy as that's best left for other sites.

#4 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 03 August 2020 - 11:26 AM

Yes, spare your disappointment, Senex.

There was definitely nothing "above average" about the Carl Wetzlar binoculars I've seen.

"Well below average" would be a more accurate summary.

• Albie likes this

#5 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 03 August 2020 - 02:29 PM

I like the "Airforce grade" designation.   lol.gif

Here's a proper 20x65 that will be enjoyable for years to come for astronomy and daytime use:

https://oberwerk.com...20x65ed-deluxe/

Not purported to be from "Wetzlar" though, but Kunming instead...

Rich

• Jon Isaacs and Foss like this

#6 Foss

Foss

Viking 1

Posted 03 August 2020 - 08:35 PM

^^^ "good in fog" too. Sure kicks the you-know-what out of my Leicas. :-)

• Jon Isaacs likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics