•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Thinking about CCD/CMOS Imaging

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hypergolic

hypergolic

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Richmond Hill, Georgia

Posted 03 August 2020 - 07:39 AM

Hello all.

I was thinking about upgrading my digital imaging setup. I currently own a Canon T2i. I was checking pricing for refurb T7i's and noticed, along the way, that some of the ZWO cameras aren't that much more in cost. If I made the plunge, I would opt for a cooled camera. My scope is an R200SS/F4. 

Is there an online tutorial about selecting a suitable camera? My primary interest is deep field, taking full advantage of the scope's fast F-ratio. Planets? Not so much. 

I understand that larger sensors = more money.

Suggestions? What to read? Opinions? 

Thanks.

Fleep

#2 vio

vio

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Naples, FL

Posted 03 August 2020 - 08:22 AM

Keeping planetary imagining off, camera selection has more to do with the field of view (produced by scope+camera) of targets that are likely to be of interest. This will give you an idea of the size and resolution of the sensor based on how your subject fits on the sensor.
Planetary is different in needs, and since that’s less of an interest I’ll leave this out for now.

With a sensor size and resolution, everything else is making the best of the signal-to-noise ratio, and that’s mostly from choosing a camera with low Read Noise and Cooling (as noise increases with sensor temperature).
Another dimension is OSC vs Mono, and that’s a more complicated choice, Mono gives you better resolution (read: detail) but requires filters and the process gets to complicate a bit, from capture to processing. I don’t want to enter a debate here about this, I’m sure a lot of CN members will advocate for Mono.

Start with a Field of View Calculator, there are a few online or you can find the math/calculations to do this yourself. Here is one such online tool: https://astronomy.to.../field_of_view/

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Thundermoon1994 likes this

#3 khursh

khursh

Viking 1

• ****-

Posted 03 August 2020 - 08:52 AM

Check out this guy: https://www.youtube....X5rymeqrYt-Bb1g

He uses a Vixen R200SS also and uses both mono and OSC. His sensors are smaller at 22 and 16mm diagonal, but he is successful and his videos are pretty entertaining.

#4 Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994

Viking 1

• Loc: Akron, OH, USA

Posted 03 August 2020 - 08:57 AM

I made the change from a DSLR to a cooled CMOS camera in 2018, and that cooling makes such a huge difference!  I recommend going to a cooled camera, whether you go OSC or mono.  I'm using the ASI183MC Pro right now.  I love the image scale I get with the RASA (400mm focal length) paired with the small pixels of that camera.  It's around 1.24" per pixel.  This is really good for when I'm going after a galaxy or other small target that I'd want to crop before presentation.  It's a got a decent field for many nebulae as well, but there have definitely been some times that I've wanted to go after large targets and can't fit them onto that sensor, even with my telescope's short focal length (North America Nebula, full Pleiades, full Andromeda Galaxy).  If I were going to add another camera for those larger targets, I'd go with the ASI294MC Pro.

Damien

Edited by Thundermoon1994, 03 August 2020 - 08:57 AM.

• SoDaKAstroNut likes this

#5 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Gemini

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 03 August 2020 - 01:38 PM

I have the 294MC pro and it is a good camera but I hate the amp glow.

I think the sweet spot for price / performance is the ASI 533

#6 hypergolic

hypergolic

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Richmond Hill, Georgia

Posted 04 August 2020 - 07:52 AM

Thanks for all the good advice!

Fleep

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics