•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Two Open Clusters

dso sketching
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SeanStaresatStars

SeanStaresatStars

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 03 August 2020 - 12:18 PM

Sketching Open Clusters has been a huge help in getting me to slow down and really observe instead of giving in and moving on to "check another box". Two recent ones I've been kinda proud of. Both are graphite pencil on white paper, scanned in and color inverted. 

M11 - The wild duck cluster in Sct. First time I found this was in a 4.5" reflector and it looked more like a nebula than a star cluster. So, going back at it with my 10" f/4.7 Dob made it way more stunning. Seeing the trails and "waves" of stars around the single bright star was a lot of fun to put on paper. Viewed 7/29/20 at 92x magnification. T3 S4 conditions. 

NGC 6633 (The Tweedledum Cluster) - In Oph. Found for the first time last night (8/2/20) in T4 S5 conditions. Used 10" dob with 70x magnification. As striking as the more compact clusters are, I do like a lot of the more open ones, and I wish I could sketch the feeling of scrolling over and having the star density in the eyepiece jump. 

Attached Thumbnails

• M11 Inverted.jpg
  • Inverted NGC6633.jpg

• frank5817, jim kuhns, steve t and 7 others like this

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 03 August 2020 - 08:15 PM

Sean,

Both sketches look very nice.

Thanks for posting them here.

Frank :)

• SeanStaresatStars likes this

#3 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Cosmos

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:19 AM

Sean,

Nice sketches of Open Clusters smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

• SeanStaresatStars likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dso, sketching

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics