•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Oh where, oh where can that little reflector be?

reflector
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CollinofAlabama

CollinofAlabama

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lubbock, Texas, USA

Posted 03 August 2020 - 01:04 PM

I see that the British are treated to this ...

SkyWatcher 130P-DS

... for the US equivalent of $230.00  Now that's a LOT of telescope for a little dough, my friends.  Why can't US customers see something like this?  What's the matter with SkyWatcher (or Celestron, their US subsidiary) offering such?  There's never been a decent, 2" focuser equipped 130mm telescope offered to US customers.  They are all, well, cheesy, with flimsy mounts, huge central obstructions, ridiculous 1.25" focusers and the like.  I would VERY much want something like this ...

C150 XLT

... but with a dual speed crayford.  I'd gladly forgo the finder and eyepiece the Brits are given to obtain the same OTA with tube rings and dovetail.  SkyWatcher is not watching the US market very well.  Turn your vision to the ground, make some money, and make US happy, SkyWatcher (or Celestron, if you prefer)

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 03 August 2020 - 04:21 PM

Collin:

These are interesting scopes. I believe they are designed for imaging so the CO is quite large.  

I once had a 130mm F/5 Skywatcher with a 2 inch JMI focuser.. 

Skywatcher 130 with JMI focuser CN.jpg

I sold it so someone, bought it back, sold it to someone else.  

A nice scope but not a replacement for a high end 4 inch refractor.

Jon

• Eddgie likes this

#3 gwlee

gwlee

Vanguard

• Loc: 38N 120W

Posted 03 August 2020 - 04:28 PM

A better quality 6”f8 dob would answer my prayers. Instead, they are getting cheesier, so my small reflector upgrade budget is being spent on refractors that are getting better and less expensive, and I will continue using my old reflector until there’s something much better available. 

#4 JGass

JGass

Viking 1

• Loc: MD

Posted 03 August 2020 - 05:10 PM

There is this GSO 6" f/6 OTA with 2" GSO crayford, focuser extension, rings, rail, optical finder:
https://agenaastro.c...lector-ota.html

That looks like a lot of reflector for the price (read the details) offered here in the US. Larger aperture than the 130mm skywatcher, and at f/6, a bit more forgiving than f/5.

Country of Mfg for that GSO is listed as Taiwan. GSO is Taiwanese, but are the keycomponents made there? Assembly there? One could hope, but I would reserve judgement on that statement.

#5 EJN

EJN

Aurora

• Loc: Between eigenstates

Posted 04 August 2020 - 03:35 PM

I see that the British are treated to this ...

SkyWatcher 130P-DS

... for the US equivalent of $230.00 Now that's a LOT of telescope for a little dough, my friends. Why can't US customers see something like this? What's the matter with SkyWatcher (or Celestron, their US subsidiary) offering such? There's never been a decent, 2" focuser equipped 130mm telescope offered to US customers. They are all, well, cheesy, with flimsy mounts, huge central obstructions, ridiculous 1.25" focusers and the like. I would VERY much want something like this ...

C150 XLT

... but with a dual speed crayford. I'd gladly forgo the finder and eyepiece the Brits are given to obtain the same OTA with tube rings and dovetail. SkyWatcher is not watching the US market very well. Turn your vision to the ground, make some money, and make US happy, SkyWatcher (or Celestron, if you prefer)

The 130 was available from Canadian Telescopes before they went out of business.

I agree that in Europe there seems to be a greater selection available.

Edit: I just saw it says "usually ships 40-60 working days."

Edited by EJN, 04 August 2020 - 04:47 PM.

#6 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 04 August 2020 - 04:40 PM

How much money would you save to get a 5" over this:

https://www.adorama....dl-gbase-drones

or this:

https://www.highpoin...ly-ota-31057ota

Both have 2" focusers, rings, and dovetail--the finder is better on the Meade.

A 2-speed focuser is nice, but not essential at f/5.

for such a cheap price, you could change the focuser if you wanted.

#7 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:01 PM

How much money would you save to get a 5" over this:

https://www.adorama....dl-gbase-drones

or this:

https://www.highpoin...ly-ota-31057ota

Both have 2" focusers, rings, and dovetail--the finder is better on the Meade.

A 2-speed focuser is nice, but not essential at f/5.

for such a cheap price, you could change the focuser if you wanted.

True, but you quickly approach $400 USD when you factor in a 2" 2-speed Focuser so IMO the OP has a point.

#8 JMW

JMW

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:23 AM

I think you can find better reflector options for 6 inches and up at Teleskop-Express. I ordered a 10 inch f/4 imaging newtonian with carbon fiber tube a few years ago that I use with rotating rings on my observatory AP900 mount. Last fall I ordered an 8 inch f/6 newtonian with Pyrex mirror. AstroGoods built me a custom dob mount the way I wanted it to use with the 8 inch. I will have the Dob mount this weekend. I have a premium Dob mount on an 8 inch f/6 Newtonian with 2 inch 2 speed Moonlite focuser, 60mm Stellarvue RA finder and Telrad. The dob base has extra large clamshell bearings and extra base height so I can use it comfortably while seated. I had the Dob base fitted with the encoder mounting hardware as part of the build so I will be using it with 10K encoders and the Nexus DSC.

Teleskop-Express seems to have a lot more Newtonian scope options and allow customization when ordering. I have been very happy with both of my scopes. I have been using the 8 inch on an FTX mount until the delivery of my custom Dob base.

Edited by JMW, 06 August 2020 - 10:24 AM.

#9 Hesiod

Hesiod

Skylab

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:51 AM

Mind that the "PDS" acronym marks the tube as belonging to Skywatcher's line of astrographs.

The 2" focuser is not the only difference with its 5" f/5 siblings, as the tube is engineered to have more backfocus and should have a larger secondary.

In my opinion is a very interesting, even if underrated, product for mixed visual/AP use, or if the main visual interest is shifted toward low-power, widefield observations

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics